Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Buying Plane Tickets

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 9:27 PM
  • 13 Replies

So, DH and I are heading out of town in August for a wedding. I've reserved the rental car and the hotel. I am going no matter what, but we are still waiting to see if DH's pass gets approved. We have no reason to think it won't. He'll be in a class and will have weekends off and there is really no chance of him being called into work on a weekend anyway. (Yes, I know I'm spoiled right now, but that's not the point.) So, I'm waiting on the tickets because I don't want to lose money. I'm booking through Southwest and they usually have good military service. Should I book them with any sort of insurance? 

by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 9:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AlphaTango11
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 9:33 PM

I probably would, just in case. I would just make sure that I booked a ticket that was refundable/reusable because however much extra it costs to do that will probably be less than losing the entire ticket itself if he is not able to go. Murphy's Law always seems to follow us around when I try to travel with my husband!

lucky2Beeme
by Bronze Member on Jul. 8, 2011 at 9:38 PM

If you use southwest and have to cancel his ticket. They will give you acredit for the full amount.the credit is good for 1 year.

akrsmomma
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 9:41 PM
I agree with the pervious poster. My dh booked tickets to Hawaii for my older girls and himself to join my youngest and I on our medivac trip. He got the times mixed up making him leave the day before us instead of the same day. Had already booked their tickets from Misawa to Tokyo, but they would have missed their flight from Tokyo to Honolulu if we left them like they were. We called the American airline they were flying through and they told us it would be another $900 per ticket to change the tickets. W paid less than that to buy the orginal tickets. We ended up going to talk to the JAL people and were able to change their tickets going from Misawa to Tokyo for Y1900 or $30. And they only charged us for changing my dh's tickets, they changed my girls' tickets for free.
armywife1229
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 9:42 PM

This is what I was hoping for! I will double check with them. Thanks!

Quoting lucky2Beeme:

If you use southwest and have to cancel his ticket. They will give you acredit for the full amount.the credit is good for 1 year.

Vantrice
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 9:46 PM

I never buy the insurance, but that's just me.

2000SuperMommy
by on Jul. 9, 2011 at 4:27 AM
Yep, I buy the insurance... I'll learned my lesson the hard way.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
heatherbarr
by on Jul. 9, 2011 at 7:59 AM

I would just in case.

Soniam301
by Sonia on Jul. 9, 2011 at 8:03 AM
if you dont use south west buy the insurance, I also learned the hard way

Quoting 2000SuperMommy:

Yep, I buy the insurance... I'll learned my lesson the hard way.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Soniam301
by Sonia on Jul. 9, 2011 at 8:04 AM
oh, and not all of southwest tickets are transferable.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
armywife1229
by on Jul. 9, 2011 at 8:15 AM

Will double check. Thanks!

Quoting Soniam301:

oh, and not all of southwest tickets are transferable.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)