• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

No changes to military retirement anytime soon, officials say

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 12:27 PM
  • 18 Replies

No changes to military retirement anytime soon, officials say

by Jim Garamone American Forces Press Service

8/16/2011 - WASHINGTON (AFNS) -- The military retirement isn't going to change any time soon, Defense Department officials said. "There's no immediate plan to affect retirement," Navy Adm. Mike Mullen told service members at Kandahar Airfield, Afghanistan, July 31. The chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff said any changes to military retirement should be studied carefully and should be "grandfathered" so the military doesn't break faith with those in the service. Pentagon officials are reviewing all areas of the defense budget, and the goal of the review is to "inform the decisions and strategies that we have to make," Defense Secretary Leon E. Panetta said Aug. 4. "So that's going to be key to what decisions we make and what areas we look to for savings," the secretary added. In support of the department's efficiency initiatives, a small group of Defense Business Board members was tasked to develop alternative plans to the current military retirement system. The group briefed its findings and draft recommendations to the full board during their July 21 quarterly meeting. The full board approved the recommendations, and the group will issue a final report by the end of this month. The Defense Business Board provides DOD's senior leaders independent advice and recommendations "on effective strategies for the implementation of best business practices on matters of interest to the Department of Defense," according to Pentagon officials. Meanwhile, a Pentagon spokeswoman said, officials are reviewing the board's recommendations. "Any recommendation to change the military retirement system must be approached with thoughtful analysis, to include considerations of impacts to recruiting and retention," Eileen Lainez said. "While the military retirement system, as with all other compensation, is a fair subject of review for effectiveness and efficiency, no changes to the current retirement system have been approved, and no changes will be made without careful consideration for both the current force and the future force."

sorry for the poor cut and paste I'm at my unit, but BREATHE EASY....for now. lol

by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 12:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mapleg
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 12:29 PM

thank goodness

amberdy
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 12:29 PM
That's good.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
xxlilmomma09
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 12:35 PM
That is good news for now.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ASigler86
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 12:50 PM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bramamber
by Amber on Aug. 17, 2011 at 12:58 PM
Yay
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
-Mattel-
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 1:45 PM

Thank you for posting this!

Rachie7987
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 1:47 PM

I had my husband print this and give it to people at work....

some of the his co-workers swore up and down that military retirement was ALREDY taken away. All my husband could do was try to correct them but they didn't believe him. Hopefully now they will actually realize everything they read on facebook isn't real. :)

USAFamily
by Melissa on Aug. 17, 2011 at 2:29 PM

I knew someone would have posted this before me... let me go delete mine lol!!

ASigler86
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 2:53 PM
Lol it popped up on my afportal when I got to work today, so OBVIOUSLY I automatically thought, "Ohhhh I gotta let the ladies on cafemom know!" Bahahahaha that's how I know I need a life.:-)

Quoting USAFamily:

I knew someone would have posted this before me... let me go delete mine lol!!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MwithV_xo
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 2:54 PM

oh thank freakin Jesus. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)