• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What is it about military life that civilians just don't understand??

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 1:59 PM
  • 52 Replies

You would think with all the movies and tv shows, media coverage and the fact that everyone knows someone in the military these days, that people would be better informed about what goes on in our lives.  You would think, huh?

Someone posted something on facebook today about that new retirement plan the DoD is throwing around.  Someone said in comment that she didn't think military should get retirement at all, they should have to save their own like everyone else.  What the ...?

Every other government job gets retirement, so do teachers... they're okay with that... but not the military... Do they not understand what military life is about??  What we go through or sacrifice?  Why is there such a gap between the two worlds: civilian and military that we can't understand each other?

What are your thoughts?

Photobucket

Catch our adventures at 5 Nuts in a Nutshell!

by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 1:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SarahJean70
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 2:06 PM
None at all? Is she functioning at full mental capacity?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
amberdy
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 2:08 PM

I think people that haven't lived this life, don't fully understand it.  I think many people think we get more than we deserve.  When I hear stupid people make comments, I just try to think about all the people that try to understand and support us.

Soniam301
by Sonia on Aug. 17, 2011 at 2:10 PM

Quoting SarahJean70:

None at all? Is she functioning at full mental capacity?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ZanderandBella
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 2:10 PM

I personally think that if they remove the retirement, most of the military would not reenlist. But yeah, she is not thinking properly there.

CountryStrong84
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 2:14 PM

they dont understand because they arent military. Its really that simple

ArmyWifeCat
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 2:15 PM

My husband I and I were married for 5 years before making the choice to join.  Even as a civilian we believed in everything the military stood for.  If you put your life on the line for 20 years in the service of your country, I think you well earn the retirement -- and so doesn't the family that stood behind you for those 20 years!

kittn370
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 2:16 PM
My husband and I were just discussing this this morning. He said, "You know, I make far less than what I could make doing a similar job on the civilian sector or working as a contractor because I have benefits and retirement. I could be okay with them taking away retirement if they paid me more so I could save more. The civilian sect is moving away from pensions anyway, and I support that when a person makes enough to save for their own retirement."

Obviously, though, the plan on the table was not to do away with retirement and then pay soldiers more...and trying to rectify the budget deficit and the national debt by making cuts to the benefits of less than one percent of the population is inane. It's too insignificant to matter. I'm personally in favor of all of Congress taking a paycut...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ArmyWifeCat
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 2:18 PM

My hubsband said the same thing!!  And I agree, I still can't understand how congress can take retirement after only serving a term or two... blows my mind!

Quoting kittn370:

My husband and I were just discussing this this morning. He said, "You know, I make far less than what I could make doing a similar job on the civilian sector or working as a contractor because I have benefits and retirement. I could be okay with them taking away retirement if they paid me more so I could save more. The civilian sect is moving away from pensions anyway, and I support that when a person makes enough to save for their own retirement."

Obviously, though, the plan on the table was not to do away with retirement and then pay soldiers more...and trying to rectify the budget deficit and the national debt by making cuts to the benefits of less than one percent of the population is inane. It's too insignificant to matter. I'm personally in favor of all of Congress taking a paycut...

Ethansmommy1987
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 2:22 PM

I think it's strange how so many people don't understand what the families go through. When my dh deployed I moved in with my parents again. My dad was in awe of what all I did all day every day without any help at all and being so far from any family (we've always been hugely family oriented, I'm the first person in 3 generations on my side to move away and raise a family on my own.). My mom though, she thought I wasn't doing enough. She expected me to  pick up after her and my 15 year old sister and to do any kind of work on the house. Like a shelf broke once and my mom got mad at me for not fixing it and asking my dad to fix it. And then she would tell me when I was upset that I had no right to be upset because I knew what I was getting myself into when he enlisted. Gee thanks mom.

ma2calebzoeyeli
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 2:51 PM

The military life is a whole different ball game and until you have lived it you will never understand it. I don't even talk about it to civilians. They just don't get it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)