Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Contingency Plans (piog)

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 3:02 PM
  • 22 Replies

Long story short: My neighbor (yes the one I've had issues with off and on the past two years) has had some disturbing behavior lately. She's been non agressive which is good, but had been easily confused and thought she lost her children. The MP's were called in before she remembered they were at school but there was serious concern about her mental status as three days in a row shes become easily disoriented and confused and her husband is currently deployed.   Fast forward to today: Shes been hospitalized with a serious stroke, and is completely paralyzed on the left side of her body.  

Luckily due to some of her medical conditions, his chain of command required a family care plan be in place before he deployed.  Despite our issues over the years, he and my husband and I are close, and when she's calm, we get along well and she knows that even when we have our fights, her kids come first.   Because of this family care plan, we are able to step in and provide the care for his children until his parents arrive and he gets back (they're rushing him home but obviously it takes a few days).

This of course reminds me that when we were in germany, there was a spouse who died while her husband was gone, and nobody realized it for several days as her children were too young to go for help or understand.   

So my question is: Do you have contingency plans when your spouse is deployed?  Do you have someone you check in with regualrly, someone who would notice if you weren't around?  Do you have plans in place for someone to step in with your kids should something happen to you?  

My Chore Wars character

Join me at Chore Wars at have fun cleaning your house!

by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 3:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
-Mattel-
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 3:04 PM

Yes, it's pretty common sense in my opinion.

Pishyah
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 3:24 PM

I don't and it bothers me like crazy when he's gone.  : (

USAFamily
by Melissa on Aug. 17, 2011 at 3:28 PM

Right now, yes. There are people who I have at our base who would notice if I fell off the planet and freak. But we are moving soon. I can't imagine how it will work when we move and I don't know anyone. Luckily I make friends easily...but still.

Those stories are so sad, especially the one from Germany. We are moving to Spain and I worry about crazy things happening...

-Mattel-
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 3:30 PM

Don't worry, the overseas Military community is VERY strong. It took me some time to find people I really clicked with but once you build your group up, we've all we have here, ya know? 

Quoting USAFamily:

Right now, yes. There are people who I have at our base who would notice if I fell off the planet and freak. But we are moving soon. I can't imagine how it will work when we move and I don't know anyone. Luckily I make friends easily...but still.

Those stories are so sad, especially the one from Germany. We are moving to Spain and I worry about crazy things happening...

amberdy
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 3:30 PM
I talk to my dad or sister daily, so they would know.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
USAFamily
by Melissa on Aug. 17, 2011 at 3:31 PM

I think your right. I've just been facebook stalking some of the ladies that are at the base we are going to (no worries, I 'know' them) and they seem really close. Hopefully it will work out :)

Quoting -Mattel-:

Don't worry, the overseas Military community is VERY strong. It took me some time to find people I really clicked with but once you build your group up, we've all we have here, ya know? 

Quoting USAFamily:

USAFamily
by Melissa on Aug. 17, 2011 at 3:31 PM

Amd you're on here. If you didn't show up for more than a couple days we may send out a rescue squad.

Quoting amberdy:

Pishyah
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 3:38 PM

We've been here for a couple of years and I've not found people on base that I speak to daily or see daily except for two people, both of which have moved to new bases.  My neighbors and I don't cross paths daily, either.  They seem like great people and all but we're different.  My son's about to start school so I have that, I guess, during the school year.  I only call my family members once a week.  More than that and there's nothing to talk about, lol.  I'm hoping that when we move I can find a community.  I have acquaintances off of base but we only see each other once a week at the most.

Quoting USAFamily:

amberdy
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 3:39 PM
LOL, I do take leaves of absence sometimes.

Quoting USAFamily:

Amd you're on here. If you didn't show up for more than a couple days we may send out a rescue squad.

Quoting amberdy:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
beerebelly
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 5:03 PM

Yes I do.  My mom lives right down the road and I see her often.  I also speak to her and my sister every day so they would know if something was a miss.  Also, my oldest son is 14 so would certainly alert someone.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)