Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tell me something...

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 3:38 PM
  • 11 Replies

I normally dont worry about "fitting in" or being liked by people, but since we have recently moved to where I know absolutely no one, I feel like I should make some sort of effort in that direction so that I dont go crazy in the three years we will be here at fort campbell.

So here is my little issue. My husband is 16 years older than me, has been in the army for a little over 20 years...and has been on at least 4 deployments. Im pretty sure the people he works with or will befriend while he is here have probably been in about the same amount of time as him...and have a few deployments under their belt as well. (these are all assumptions of mine so far). While I want to make friends with his friends wives...or our neighbors when we move on post...im just worried that i will have nothing in common with these women. I feel like we wont be able to connect or bond since Im considerably younger than they are, have younger children and  havent been through any deployments period...and they have, at least im assuming most of them have.

Im sure that I shouldnt assume so much and I probably shouldnt worry about it at all...but its just been on my over worked mind here in the last few days...so yall come on over and set me straight :)

by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 3:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LOswald0314
by Ruby Member on Aug. 17, 2011 at 3:42 PM
You're women, mothers, military wives.... I'm sure you can find something in common. It make take a little extra effort since there may be a bigger age difference but it shouldn't really matter in the end.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
amberdy
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 3:42 PM
You will be fine, go to unit functions, playgroups, etc. You will meet people you have things in common with. I am 34 and one of the older wives in my dh's unit and I also have some of the oldest children, but that hasn't stopped me from meeting people. And most of my friends are not from my dh's unit.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Maddies_mom101
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 3:46 PM

is there a wives/moms group on CM for your base? That is how I found all my friends

1proudmama07
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 3:47 PM

I know someone at Campbell, we were friends when we were stationed in Germany.  Her name is Angel Helsinger...shes in this group but idk how often she is on...she has 3 kids that keep her pretty busy.  You could try contacting her if you want.  Her husband and mine deployed for the first time together.  

katieabril
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 3:47 PM

i have the same problem, thats why i didnt really want to live on base. i think i'm way younger then the wifes there. and i thought the samething that i wouldnt have anything in common with them. but idk you could at least try to get to know them, and if they dont seem interested in u then wte screw them.

CountryStrong84
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 3:49 PM

thanks ladies :) Im a worrier, so im pretty sure my anxiety is unfounded...i just wanted to hear it from someone else

beerebelly
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 3:50 PM

Don't let your age discourage you from meeting people.  I am 35 and one of my best friends (also a military wife) is 23.  We have stuff in common despite our age difference.

CountryStrong84
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 3:51 PM

yes...but it isnt very active.

Quoting Maddies_mom101:

is there a wives/moms group on CM for your base? That is how I found all my friends

bramamber
by Amber on Aug. 17, 2011 at 4:29 PM
I am friends with other military wives of all ages and ranks.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ArmyWifeCat
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 4:39 PM

I am really into being friends with all ages and stages of life.  You can learn so much from people who are older and been there and even from younger people too.  And you will also have teaching moments where you are the teacher and they can learn from you.  Be open to anything and you may be surprised where you will find new friends.  Good Luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)