Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

With all this talk..

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:34 PM
  • 23 Replies

I called MyCAA today.  I have $2000 left in my acct that I can use.  But, their rules are you can only use 2k per fiscal year, which I have.  Come Oct 1st, the other 2k will be available for me.  I pray it is.  So, if you have any money left in MyCAA, I'd be thinking about what to do with it before it's yanked!  They told me there was no guarantee it would be there for me, even though right now it says it is, it's obviously all up to DoD.  *sigh*  

by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Dani_Lynn
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:37 PM
I need to.find out what is going on with mine. I had like $4 k left before they had the sudden shut down. It'd be nice if I could use it this spring.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Vantrice
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:38 PM

I would definitely be thinking about it! Come Oct 1st if it's still there, I will enroll in another course if I can. 

amberdy
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:20 PM

I hope you get to use it.  I didn't jump on it when the program first started and then the changed the requirements : (

Vantrice
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:36 PM

Quoting amberdy:

I hope you get to use it.  I didn't jump on it when the program first started and then the changed the requirements : (

I didn't either, and was kicking myself for it.  Oh well.  I just really hope they will be so kind to let me keep that little 2k.  lol

SusanD
by Silver Member on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:40 PM

Good luck! I really hope that it works out and you get to use it. I used the MYCAA when they initially created the program, prior to the reduction in the total amount and rank restrictions. It is a great program, and an education is so incredibly important.

Have you considered looking into military spouse specific scholarships? There are several out there, and many of them go unclaimed.

Vantrice
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:47 PM

Quoting SusanD:

Good luck! I really hope that it works out and you get to use it. I used the MYCAA when they initially created the program, prior to the reduction in the total amount and rank restrictions. It is a great program, and an education is so incredibly important.

Have you considered looking into military spouse specific scholarships? There are several out there, and many of them go unclaimed.

I have thought about it.  I may look into it, thanks!

USAFamily
by Melissa on Aug. 18, 2011 at 12:03 AM

I can't use MYCAA. It makes me sad, I'd love to take the medical administrative assistant course we were talking about.

SusanD
by Silver Member on Aug. 18, 2011 at 12:06 AM

Seriously, you might consider it! There is a pretty decently sized scholarship (if I'm not mistaken) that is given out annually by the National Military Families organization.

Some of the scholarships are just a couple of hundred bucks, but if you have been awarded a scholarship then often times more awarding agencies are willing to give them to you based upon that. Not to mention they can really add up. I've paid for almost 100% of my education through scholarships. Initially it was smaller scholarship that just kind of added up, most based upon being a military spouse or prior service. Then I was awarded a full academic scholarship. I've never had to use my GI Bill benefits to actually pay for my education. Its always been able to help offset other education related costs.

USAFamily
by Melissa on Aug. 18, 2011 at 12:09 AM

I am definitely going to look into this!! I have researched several scholarships and know they are out there. I'm waiting until my youngest starts preschool -next fall- then I'd like to get into a program fulltime.

This is great info though. I appreciate that you shared it!

Quoting SusanD:

Seriously, you might consider it! There is a pretty decently sized scholarship (if I'm not mistaken) that is given out annually by the National Military Families organization.

Some of the scholarships are just a couple of hundred bucks, but if you have been awarded a scholarship then often times more awarding agencies are willing to give them to you based upon that. Not to mention they can really add up. I've paid for almost 100% of my education through scholarships. Initially it was smaller scholarship that just kind of added up, most based upon being a military spouse or prior service. Then I was awarded a full academic scholarship. I've never had to use my GI Bill benefits to actually pay for my education. Its always been able to help offset other education related costs.

twinstartermom
by on Aug. 18, 2011 at 12:16 AM

What is Mycaa? How do you get?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)