Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tricare question....

Posted by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 9:57 AM
  • 16 Replies

Backstory:

I'm pretty sure I have a double ear infection. DH signs out on leave at noon and wants to be on the road to Indiana IMMEDIATELY. So, I tried to call my doctor's office the minute they opened, seriously, and get an appointment but of course they don't have any. I have SO much to do before going to pick DH up, I don't have time to sit for an hour or two(which they said it could be that long as a walk-in).

I told DH my two options were go in and sit for 2 hours while DD screams because I won't let her run rampant, or, go to their urgent care office after noon. So he calls and starts saying something aways comes up with me when we have to be somewhere, we never leave on time, blah blah blah. Because to me, we still have a week before his mom's wedding, we already missed the bachelor/bachelorette parties, I see no rush. I never see any reason to rush when leaving on vacation. He always requests enough time for driving and visiting.

So, after he does the blame fest I say fine, I wont go be seen and I'll just be in severe pain on the drive(I know, not any more mature than his blame fest but I was mad and hurt). I honestly don't know how much it hurts but I hear it's EXTREMELY painful driving through mountains with an ear infection that is not being treated. I mean even the pains I'm getting now hurt SO bad. They don't last very long but still, I always have to stop whatever I'm doing and rub my ear to get through the pain. I imagine a few hours through the mountains is not going to be fun.

That turned out way longer than I intended. Sorry.

My actual question is: Can I see a doctor out of state even though we are only going to be there for a week? Will Tricare cover it?

Waiting until we get there, I think I can do. Waiting until we get back from vacation, that's a definite no.

by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 9:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LondonsMomma84
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 10:01 AM
Tell DH to suck it up--you're leaving a few hours late! It's vacation for goodness sake.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
emmiesmommy1113
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 10:05 AM

Quoting LondonsMomma84:

Tell DH to suck it up--you're leaving a few hours late! It's vacation for goodness sake.

I know.... He's so...anal about it. It's ridiculous. And anytime our vacations start out like this, it's just a sign that the drive for sure is going to suck.:/

USAFamily
by Melissa on Aug. 19, 2011 at 10:07 AM

I would just go to the Dr before you left. Unless it's an emergency, I don't think Tricare will let you see a dr out of state without a referral.

joshlor2
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 10:14 AM
Call tricare, tell them your in pain from a suspected ear infection and the doctor can't see you today, and ask if you can go into a minor care clinic. I had them do this once, allthey wanted was a referral request from my normal doctors office.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sara.Worthey
by Gold Member on Aug. 19, 2011 at 12:07 PM

You should be able to call tricare tell them that you think you have a double ear infection and need to be seen. They should give you a referral to a urgent care center. Or you just go to an urgent care center and call your doc and they can put in a retroactive referral for the visit.

Either way, get seen ASAP, cause double ear infections hurt, and the longer you wait, the more likely that you will rupture one or both of the ear drums and then you will have issues hearing people at the wedding, during your vacation.

Wife to Army Spc Chris.(12-17-07)

Stay at home mommy to Riley (7-21-08)

Second time mommy to Zander (10-9-10)

beerebelly
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 12:11 PM

Get seen before the trip or else you will be miserable.  Hubs will get over it and then you can get on the road.  Not sure of the answer to your question.  Sorry.

lwalker270
by Bronze Member on Aug. 19, 2011 at 12:19 PM

Quoting LondonsMomma84:

I agree.  If you're sick, you're sick!  I left an ear infection untreated several years ago and my eardrum ruptured.  Not fun.

2ndbabyat26
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 12:30 PM

You will have to see a Tricare approved Dr., unless it turns into an emergency... Since your driving out if your S/O can u can always go to any military installation.

I would contact TRICARE and let them know the situation, but they won't cover the visit unless the Dr. is approved! Be sure that you are seeing a Dr. while he is actually on his LV dates alot of troops LV b4 their actual dates (like heading out on a weekend and their LV doesn't offically start till Monday) if you are seen by a civilian Dr. and your husband is actually AWOL you guys will be stuck w/ the bill.

In the mean time take tylenol and mortin for pain/fever and if your congested take some sudafed or some form of decongestant to help releive the pressure!

I used to work as a Hospital Admin Tech for the Air Force; I hope you get better and are able to get the treatment you need! Take care.

averyswifeliz
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 12:30 PM
You can be seen out if state, but you will have to call tricare and ask them where they'll allow you to go and your pcm will have to send a referral. If you call them they'll explain how to do it. Hope you feel better!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Soniam301
by Sonia on Aug. 19, 2011 at 12:33 PM
my husband would be to afraid to travel with me sick and pissed off...

You should go to the dr. those mountains are going to be hell on you and you will only get worse.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)