Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

neighorhoods???

Posted by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 12:54 PM
  • 31 Replies
We are moving to ft hood, and want to live off post. Which area is the best in your opinion?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 12:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Livvysmommy03
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 12:55 PM
We were told by my husbands sgt that copperas cove is the best...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
xxlilmomma09
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 1:01 PM
I personally would never live in Cove, but that's just me. My husband works on the Killeen side of post, so it is a shorter drive for him to work with us living in Killeen. If we lived in Cove, it would be like a 30 min drive to work one way for him.

We live in Killeen and have enjoyed it. The mall, restaurants, and main post is a short drive away. We have never had any problens with crime or anything either.

Harker Heights is also a very nice.

Depending on where your husbands unit is and how far he wants to drive every morning is usually a strong factor when deciding where to live. Hwy 190 gets backed up as well as the gates going on post around high demand times so your husband would have to plan that in with his driving.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
chrlstoncharmed
by Melissa on Aug. 19, 2011 at 1:06 PM

Does your DH know where he will be working on post? If he will be on West Fort Hood, then Cove or Kempner might be good options (drive-wise. I lived on the far end of Cove and it only took 10 minutes to get to WFH).  

Rent is cheaper in Killeen and Harker Heights. For some reason, Cove is jacked up. Our first home was in Wells Ranch (Kempner) and the rent out there is also cheaper than living right in Cove.

babowes
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 1:18 PM
hope some one can help u here! Good luck w the move.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Livvysmommy03
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 2:24 PM
What about crime in those areas? Are they small communities? Are the police on top of everything?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Livvysmommy03
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 2:26 PM
I think the homes in hh and killeen are nicer than the ones I have seen in our price range for cc
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
chrlstoncharmed
by Melissa on Aug. 19, 2011 at 2:26 PM

It depends on what you are comparing it to. Fort Hood is the largest military installation, so crime is proportionate. 

Quoting Livvysmommy03:

What about crime in those areas? Are they small communities? Are the police on top of everything?

USAFamily
by Melissa on Aug. 19, 2011 at 2:26 PM

We recently were in Harker Heights (around the 1st) and I thought it was a great little town. Pretty, and it seemed like there was quite a bit to do there (lake, ect). The homes I saw from the road (even the older ones) seemed really nice and taken care of.

Quoting xxlilmomma09:

I personally would never live in Cove, but that's just me. My husband works on the Killeen side of post, so it is a shorter drive for him to work with us living in Killeen. If we lived in Cove, it would be like a 30 min drive to work one way for him.

We live in Killeen and have enjoyed it. The mall, restaurants, and main post is a short drive away. We have never had any problens with crime or anything either.

Harker Heights is also a very nice.

Depending on where your husbands unit is and how far he wants to drive every morning is usually a strong factor when deciding where to live. Hwy 190 gets backed up as well as the gates going on post around high demand times so your husband would have to plan that in with his driving.

chrlstoncharmed
by Melissa on Aug. 19, 2011 at 2:27 PM

Exactly. If you want a nice home in Cove, you'll be paying upwards of $1200/mo. 

Quoting Livvysmommy03:

I think the homes in hh and killeen are nicer than the ones I have seen in our price range for cc

kittn370
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 2:29 PM
Harker heights is the place to be if you're planning on living off post.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)