Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Who's been to......

Posted by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 12:49 PM
  • 15 Replies

Stuttgart Germany and can give me tips and hints at what to expect when moving and living over ther? Hell if you haven't been there but know about moving or anything I need your help too! lol Thanks ladies I know it's like 6 months or so from now BUT I want to get all the info now so I can be better prepared and not wanting to rip my hair out when the time gets closer! lol Thanks!

IAmPregnant Ticker

by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 12:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lilnena98
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 12:57 PM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
xxlilmomma09
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 1:00 PM
Misha is in Germany. Not sure what part though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LOswald0314
by Ruby Member on Sep. 14, 2011 at 1:07 PM
I don't know anything about it, but military one source has a plan my move calendar on their site to help you stat organized.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DizneyMomma2001
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 1:08 PM

Didn't live in Stuttgart, but I had to go there to get our car I believe.  Germany is a lot more slower paced then the US.  They are very family friendly in that country and animal friendly as well.  It's not uncommon to see dogs with their owners at Cafe's having lunch or dinner.  The winter's are cold but not harsh.  There is no AC there not that you would need it.  The design of their windows makes it to where you get a good breeze but a fan is always a good idea if you like it cold in your house.  There was lots of built in storage in the housing unit we had...infact we only had one wall that didn't have floor to ceiling cabinets in our master bedroom.   They are big into recycling and it's mandatory if you live on the economy.  There are intro to German classes offered at most military bases when you get there.  Although a large part of the population there does speak english it is still a good idea to learn their language as well.  We lived in the Stadt of Bayern for 3 years and LOVED it there!  I wish we could have stayed but our base was slated for closure.   Oh and side note, you can use coupons up to 6 month's past their experation date in the commissary!

Bird16_J
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 1:14 PM

Thanks for the info so far ladies! I'll def check out militaryonesource! I totally forgot about that website! Duh "baby" moment! lol Dang memory is gone when I'm pregnant! lol

mvs0921
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 1:16 PM

recycling is huge, garbage comes only twice a month, the markets are fun, the bus and trains will be your best friends, gas is sold by the LITER, everything is bio (which means organic), yes it does say 4 months and up on the baby food glass of bio beef and carrot. Halloween is in Feb., walk around with the paper laterns in the fall, people dress like they're still in the 80s there. TRAVEL and enjoy it!! sorry if this is gramatically incorrect!

-Mattel-
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 1:53 PM

Pfft!! LMAO Last winter was HARSH!! We didn't see the sun for 5 months... 5 freaking months!!! 

You will have to have 3 or 4 trashcans to recycle everything. It's really daunting but once you're in the swing on it, it's sooo easy. 

There is no offical Halloween.... There is Fasching which is a women rights thing that you cut mens ties off and you go to parades and get tons of candy thrown at your head like rockets... It's awesome!!!

Don't get rid of your appliances because if you live on base you will be able to use them. You cannot bring your washer and dryer but they supply you one so no worries. 

You don't get regular heat here you have to buy your own oil, if you live off base. It cost 3500, around $6,000 dollars to fill ours up last year. It's your responsibility however you should get 600 EU a month for utilities. Your utility bill is not a guarantee, it is a rough guess of the person who lived in the home before you, use less pay less... use more, pay more. At the end of the year they figure it all up and you will either a) get money back b) owe them money or c) break even.

Get you civilan passports, you will need them.

Learn some very basic German. They mostly speak English in some amount but they can be downright hateful if you don't even try to speak their language. 

Don't be shocked to see Nazi parties... It's ummm surreal.

You can send you younger kids to off base pre school in your village for free and the education programs are awesome. Just check around.

During the summer the sun is up till almost 11pm at some points.

Bird16_J
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 2:07 PM

The part in red made me LOL! And from what I've read about Stuttgart there is no base housing there. :( But at least we'll live in town around the locals that should be fun! lol And I planned on TRYING to learn German. I figured it was only the right thing to do since I AM a guest in their country. The hubby was like you should learn French too I was like pffffft nope I'll stick with German

Quoting -Mattel-:

Pfft!! LMAO Last winter was HARSH!! We didn't see the sun for 5 months... 5 freaking months!!! 

You will have to have 3 or 4 trashcans to recycle everything. It's really daunting but once you're in the swing on it, it's sooo easy. 

There is no offical Halloween.... There is Fasching which is a women rights thing that you cut mens ties off and you go to parades and get tons of candy thrown at your head like rockets... It's awesome!!!

Don't get rid of your appliances because if you live on base you will be able to use them. You cannot bring your washer and dryer but they supply you one so no worries. 

You don't get regular heat here you have to buy your own oil, if you live off base. It cost 3500, around $6,000 dollars to fill ours up last year. It's your responsibility however you should get 600 EU a month for utilities. Your utility bill is not a guarantee, it is a rough guess of the person who lived in the home before you, use less pay less... use more, pay more. At the end of the year they figure it all up and you will either a) get money back b) owe them money or c) break even.

Learn some very basic German. They mostly speak English in some amount but they can be downright hateful if you don't even try to speak their language. 

You can send you younger kids to off base pre school in your village for free and the education programs are awesome. Just check around.

IAmPregnant Ticker

-Mattel-
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 2:15 PM

Once you start really grasping German, which won't be long. French will be easy to pick up. I can get around with my poor Germany but my French is really getting strong because they speak so many secondary languages. It's not hard once you get here. You'll LOVE it.

Here is Stuttgart housing pics...

http://www.facebook.com/#!/media/set/?set=a.141829182571115.37084.137336963020337&type=1

Quoting Bird16_J:

The part in red made me LOL! And from what I've read about Stuttgart there is no base housing there. :( But at least we'll live in town around the locals that should be fun! lol And I planned on TRYING to learn German. I figured it was only the right thing to do since I AM a guest in their country. The hubby was like you should learn French too I was like pffffft nope I'll stick with German

Quoting -Mattel-:

yasbobari
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 2:24 PM
Bump. Great things to know misha, thanks!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)