Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Once Again

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 8:54 AM
  • 44 Replies

Poll

Question: How much do you spend on Christmas?

Options:

50-100

100-200

200-300

300-400

400-500

500-800

800-1000

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 70

View Results

Once again my family (outside of my husband and children) are making an issue of how much we spend on Christmas for my children. It seems to be like this every year. I'm so tired of feeling like I have to defend how we spend on Christmas. Last year I did go overboard but it was for a good reason. My kids did not get birthday's due to the overseas PCS, and then they didn't get new toy's until Christmas, so I did spend A LOT. 

So here is my question. Please don't feel like you have to post how much you spend. If you could vote on the poll though that would be great.

How much do you spend on Christmas? 

How much is too much?

by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 8:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jealousymagnet
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 8:57 AM
1 mom liked this
We usually spend between 5 and 6 grand. We buy a gift for everyone in our immediate family
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JennyCaps
I say if you got it spend it. We only have ds and he's two so we haven't gone crazy yet because he just likes the boxes better than the toys. My parents always got us a lot and honestly i'd like to do the same (when ds and dd on the way are older and appreciate the toys in the boxes lol)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
barnwell84

We spend roughly $20 a month on each child.  We have 2 girls, so it's about $40 a month.

ambermarie2006
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 8:58 AM

I don't really keep track of the price if that makes sense. I just try to even out the amount of gifts. Of course right now my son has WAY more gifts than my 2 girls...I really need to figure out what to get them

-Mattel-
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 8:59 AM

I have 2 boy's and we spend 800 to 1,000. I guess if we get close to 1,000 though it's because I also have 5 nephews to buy for, and my hubby's BFF's 2 kids. 

MrsMWF
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 9:00 AM
1 mom liked this

I voted $800-$1000 but it's probably more. I have 5 kids and 2 grandkids that we buy for plus we usually get something small for our parents and my sister. Then we get something for each other. It adds up quick.

SouthernStorm
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 9:03 AM
1 mom liked this

My little is only 11 weeks, so this Christmas it'll probably only be around $50 because I know everyone else is probably going to go crazy over her when we return home in a couple weeks and I know a few already have gobs of stuff for her for Christmas since I didn't have a baby shower.  So from "santa' she really won't need too much.

I would say in future years probably btwn 100-200.  The way I shop that can buy a pretty good amount  (i don't mind giving her used toys from garage sales/ Cosignment shops as long as they still look new), especially while she is still young and not in "need" of the lastest doll, game system, etc. I'm sure that price will go up a little as she reaches grade school years.

Personally I don't think its any of their business what you do with YOUR money.  If you have and want to spend it on your kids, they shouldn't care.

taKENheart
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 9:04 AM

We have 4kids but the older 2 are grown.  We used to spend about $250 each but they didn't get really anything all year but maybe a bday gift which was back then about $10 per year of age but started at a $25min.

Now we do spend less at Christmas but they get more during the year plus the older two are gone BOO!  My youngest thinks she will rack up when her brother leaves LOL

-Mattel-
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 9:05 AM

Oh I agree and we just didn't tell them, but apparently they kept a list of what we told them we had gotten them, and then added it up!!! I thought that was creepy and hilarious. 

Quoting SouthernStorm:

Personally I don't think its any of their business what you do with YOUR money.  If you have and want to spend it on your kids, they shouldn't care.

usmclife58
by Nikki on Nov. 9, 2011 at 9:05 AM

We spend at least $1000 total.

This year will be much smaller. I would like to keep it around $500. Family has already been told that gifts will be a little less. And we are only doing 2 gifts for TfT's (1 boy, 1 girl) and one "Shoebox".

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)