Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

DITY move question

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 11:39 PM
  • 25 Replies

I've read some on DITY moves (or whatever they are called now), but with my lack of sleep lately I need small words and concise answers to understand. : )

Here is our situation- DH is currently in basic at Fort Benning and I'm in Texas.  I will be moving back to GA within the next week or two to stay with family through the holidays, possibly longer (unless I get a small apartment- which I may).  DH will be graduating from basic mid Dec, staying with my family on his two week exodus, then going to his AIT in VA. 

He will be considered permenant duty in VA since he wil be there 28 wks.  At some point we'll find out where we are PCSing to after he's done with AIT.

Now here is my question- I'm getting rid of pretty much all the big stuff and only keeping what I can store in a 5x8 storage pod - that will be left here in Texas.  So when we PCS we are going to have to move things from GA and Texas.  Will we get reimbursed for all of this or will we only get reimbursed for part of it?  I've heard of people getting back more money than they actually paid to move- how does that work?

by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 11:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Maddies_mom101
by on Nov. 10, 2011 at 12:02 AM
1 mom liked this

DITY moves WILL NOT pay you like they did before... you will get reimbursed for all that you move and thats about it..... your best bet would be to just  have the military move you ......a whole lot less stress.

amberdy
by on Nov. 10, 2011 at 12:03 AM
I'm confused. Blame it on the migraine and lack of sleep.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
krissy920
by on Nov. 10, 2011 at 3:06 AM

People used to be able to make tons of cash by moving themselves. They had to buy all the packaging and do all the moving, so there was some work involved. People found ways to scam the government ( putting bricks in containers ect) The policy has now been changed and people usually break  even  or dont get enough. I knew a family 2 years ago  PCSing from Hawaii and moving to Maine, they had 8 kids  and they moved themselfs. They were predicted to walk away with close to 12 grand  after everything was paid. This happens to be when the policy was changed and they ended up losing 5k on it. Im not sure if it has changed since then because we let the military move us. I would probably  find someone who has moved themselves recently ( within the last year) and see how they did and it if was worth it.

Anyways since most people break even its really not always worth the effeort  and stress of moving yourself when the military will do it for you.

Quoting amberdy:

ClassyMaye
by on Nov. 10, 2011 at 8:59 AM

Quoting Maddies_mom101:

DITY moves WILL NOT pay you like they did before... you will get reimbursed for all that you move and thats about it..... your best bet would be to just  have the military move you ......a whole lot less stress.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
chrlstoncharmed
by Melissa on Nov. 10, 2011 at 10:23 AM

I did a partial DITY a few years ago. We PCS'd from Ft Benning to Ft Hood, but I needed to move my HHG from WI (we had just combined households). I was reimbursed for the move from WI but they used my husband's home of record to calculate the milage (not the actual milage).

gunsgirl
by Silver Member on Nov. 10, 2011 at 10:24 AM

the issue here is that you are not allowed a PCS move from the HOR ( where he signed up) to anywhere.

you may or may not be allowed a move to AIT/ A school - so if it is an accompanied PCS they will expect you to move with him- ( if you decide not to go- just no that there are some issues with doing this)

when doing a PPM  since the rules have changed and you have to now wiegh empty and full at origin- this means that you have to  rent the truck from the location you are suppose to be at ( HOR) and that you will only be paid for the weight at origin-

so you can rent a truck, fill it, drive to pick up your other stuff and drive to the new duty station- but you will only get paid for distance authorised-

it can be a little confusing and if you need more clarification I can break it down a little more.

sailorwifenmom
by on Nov. 10, 2011 at 10:29 AM

Honestly, while we've done a DITY move and made money, it was basically a local move, and it was a long time ago.

What I always recommend to people is that they let the military move them, then they do a partial DITY (or whatever it's called now - I always forget it's new name).  That's where they move the majority of your stuff, but you're able to claim the stuff that you take with you in your cars - the stuff that you would be moving anyway, so....

Though to be honest with you, I don't know how that all works with this being your move to your first duty station (there are some things that are a bit different with your first move and your last move on "the military dime").

Normally, what this would involve is you have to fill out a little bit of extra paperwork saying you want to do this, then you get your cars weighed empty, then weighted again with the stuff that you're taking in it.  You have to keep all your gas receipts to turn in, then the military will pay you what it would cost to move that much weight (up to so many pounds I believe).  Since this usually includes things like your suitcases and stuff - items you would be moving yourself anyway - this does end up being sort of like "free money" - because you get it on top of the money they're giving you to move anyway. 

Now, there are a couple of "catches" here - and this is assuming that they will let you do this moving to your first duty station - like I said, some things are different with that move (but it's late and I can't remember what all those things are right now - your best bet would be to contact the office that will handle your move).  Some of the catches are things like this -- they will only pay for the mileage / shipping costs, and stuff from where you are officially supposed to be to where you're officially supposed to be going.  So, like, if his orders say that you're supposed to be with him in VA, but you decide to go home to TX and then they move you all to, say, MD, they are only going to cover the cost of what it would be to move you from VA to MD...  They will cover moving you from where they say you're "supposed to be" to where you're going.  Not necessarily from where you really are....

I would strongly encourage you to wait to commit one way or another until he graduates, and have him talk to his Household Good Office.  Because while it is possible to make money on a move (we have), it's also just as easy to have it bite you in the butt and lose money, too (we've also had that happen).

chrlstoncharmed
by Melissa on Nov. 10, 2011 at 10:35 AM

I forgot to mention that he will be required to attend a transpo DITY briefing where all your questions can be answered.  Send him with a list. LOL

SouthernStorm
by on Nov. 10, 2011 at 10:42 AM

Thanks for the info.

What we have in Texas isn't much- just a 5x7x8 storage container.  Not sure what we'll end up with in GA, since it looks like moving will be a hassel I'll probably try not to get too much ad stick with used so we can resell it prior to moving without a loss.  That way we'll only have to worry about getting our car and a few small things to his first duty station.  Depending on where he gets stationed I guess we'll decide what to do with the storage unit then.  I

amberdy
by on Nov. 10, 2011 at 6:34 PM

That's not what was confusing.  I know how PCS's work. We have PCS'd across country 3 times in the last 5 years, plus all the PCS's before that.  I knw they have changed the way they pay people. 

I was confused by all of the OP's moving.

Quoting krissy920:

People used to be able to make tons of cash by moving themselves. They had to buy all the packaging and do all the moving, so there was some work involved. People found ways to scam the government ( putting bricks in containers ect) The policy has now been changed and people usually break  even  or dont get enough. I knew a family 2 years ago  PCSing from Hawaii and moving to Maine, they had 8 kids  and they moved themselfs. They were predicted to walk away with close to 12 grand  after everything was paid. This happens to be when the policy was changed and they ended up losing 5k on it. Im not sure if it has changed since then because we let the military move us. I would probably  find someone who has moved themselves recently ( within the last year) and see how they did and it if was worth it.

Anyways since most people break even its really not always worth the effeort  and stress of moving yourself when the military will do it for you.

Quoting amberdy:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)