Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

GI Bill?

Posted by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 6:57 AM
  • 24 Replies

So anyone get out and use the GI BIll ? How is it? My husband has been talking to his liason and he will be getting out in sept. going to school full time on the gi bill... I just wanted to know what all it covered.. trying to figure out if I should work full time or part time if he will be needing a night job...

Has anyone had benefits from the VA? bc of my husband's ptsd.. and him being injured and what not they are telling him that he will get help from the VA.

I am looking up different insurances... Aghhh I am freaking out..

by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 6:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SierraLynn
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 8:37 AM
I know he will get the equivalent of an E5's BAH for the area you guys are while he goes to school full time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sara.Worthey
by Gold Member on Nov. 26, 2011 at 9:37 AM
What they are suggesting is that he apply to the va voc rehab program, it is for those that have a va disability rating (which the ptsd gives him). My husband is doing it right now. They take your gi bill, which makes sense since it comes from the same fund, but you get double bah for e5 rating based on where the school is located. They also make sure that the direction he wants to go in is one that works with his disability, they help with job placement when schooling is done (like almost gaurentee a job), help place you in internships if there is experience in the field needed, and can also buy you the tools needed for the trade (like mechanic sets, etc). The income that he gets while going to school, is not counted towards unemployment (which he qualifies for if the discharge is honorable) at least that is how it works for ohio unemployment, also any income you make doesn't affect his unemployment, and he doesn't have to apply for jobs while in school since it counts as job advancement work.

Hope I explained that okay, we are in the middle of this situation, so I am learning new stuff almost daily.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gunsgirl
by Silver Member on Nov. 26, 2011 at 9:46 AM

for the  post 9/11 GI bill he will get MHA ( NOT BAH) at the rate of an e5 with dependants based on the SCHOOL location- if he does ALL online the MHA is slightly less.

the VA will pay for tuition at a cap of 17,000 a yr directly to the school and there is 1,000 dollar a yr book stipend.

the montgomery GI bill is different and pays you not the school but there is no MHA with this bill.

lilnena98
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 10:02 AM
1 mom liked this

It depends whch GI bill he is going to use. He can use the post 9/11 or Chapter 30. Both work differently. I am using chapter 30, and I go to school full time and get 1,473 each month.  Now I don 't know how the post 9/11 works since I opt to use the other one.

Best thing for him to do is go and talk to a va rep from whatever school he wants to attend, they can explain everything to him.

thenguyenclan
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 10:20 AM

Quoting gunsgirl:

for the  post 9/11 GI bill he will get MHA ( NOT BAH) at the rate of an e5 with dependants based on the SCHOOL location- if he does ALL online the MHA is slightly less.

the VA will pay for tuition at a cap of 17,000 a yr directly to the school and there is 1,000 dollar a yr book stipend.

the montgomery GI bill is different and pays you not the school but there is no MHA with this bill.

mama_grizz
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 10:26 AM
There is a website that answers all the questions you may have. Also, I got more information from the college va rep than I did from my unit, he even printed off a booklet for me to peruse at my convenience.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Dancey30
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 10:26 AM

He also can talk to the VA rep about getting his VA benefits (as in % disabled)  My husband works full time AND is 80% disabled service connected.  BE SURE TO MAKE COPIES OF HIS MEDICAL RECORDS (yes it is doable he just needs to check them out and start copying) Also find your local VFW they will be able to help guide him and you in the right direction!!!  Don't go without when HE DESERVES care adn conpensation for his un-selfish service!  And I thank him for protecting our country and you for letting him go when duty called.

SusanD
by Silver Member on Nov. 26, 2011 at 4:10 PM

Quoting Lilysmommy1120:

So anyone get out and use the GI BIll ? How is it? My husband has been talking to his liason and he will be getting out in sept. going to school full time on the gi bill... I just wanted to know what all it covered.. trying to figure out if I should work full time or part time if he will be needing a night job... Is he going to be using Chapter 30 (the old version or MGIB) or chapter 33 (post 911 GI Bill)?

If he is going to be using the Chapter 30 benefits then they will pay directly to him a benefit of around 1450.00 per month (unless he has additional kickers, etc...in which case it may be more). This benefit does not pay his tuition and it does not pay for his books. So he would have to pay for that either by using federal Pell grants (if he qualifies), out of pocket, or loans.

Chapter 33 benefits - or Post 911 GI Bill - will pay the school directly for his tuition and then he will receive a book and supply stipend. Depending upon cost of books, etc it may or may not cover his cost of books. Beyond that, he will receive a BAH amount that is the amount for the area in which he will be going to college for an E-5 with dependants.

Has anyone had benefits from the VA? bc of my husband's ptsd.. and him being injured and what not they are telling him that he will get help from the VA. Yes, but these claims take A LONG TIME and often times are not correct or are denied, etc and have to be refiled. VA claim processing times are quite lengthy...usually no less than 3-6 months...and sometimes up to 12+ months from start to finish.

I am looking up different insurances... Aghhh I am freaking out..

Lilysmommy1120
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 5:48 PM

Thank you for all your responses.. My husband said I can go with him to talk to the liason if I wanted to... I know the career planner told him there was a asystem to already apply for the VA benefits before he gets out...

xxlilmomma09
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 6:03 PM
1 mom liked this
Your husband should be fighting for a med board separation instead of ETSing out if he is diagnosed with PTSD.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)