Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Teach me about skype!

Posted by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 9:32 PM
  • 11 Replies

Ok, so before moving to Europe, I would like to get us and my parents set up with Skype. But looking at their website, I get confused. Can you all tell me what I need/don't need? I have never used it, so any advice is appreciated!

by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 9:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LOswald0314
by Ruby Member on Nov. 26, 2011 at 10:37 PM
You just need a webcam and Internet! You create your account then look up your family- they need an account too. Then you "call" them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mrschambers7508
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 10:53 PM
1 mom liked this

Yup! Theres other packages that you have to pay for but I dont think they are needed. I video chat with my family back at home all the time! (make sure you have a good webcam. The one I have on my laptop is horrible and makes me look yellow. lol)

Quoting LOswald0314:

You just need a webcam and Internet! You create your account then look up your family- they need an account too. Then you "call" them.

catharsis
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 11:07 PM
My mom uses google voice and has it to where it rings on her cell (she's in germany). Reception can be super crappy if she's out of the house, but it's nice to be able to call her without paying long distance or anything.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Pugsmuggler
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 11:08 PM
Ditto on google voice! And their video chat is better

Quoting catharsis:

My mom uses google voice and has it to where it rings on her cell (she's in germany). Reception can be super crappy if she's out of the house, but it's nice to be able to call her without paying long distance or anything.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
violinjewel
by Julia on Nov. 26, 2011 at 11:10 PM
This.

Quoting LOswald0314:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
yasbobari
by on Nov. 27, 2011 at 8:19 AM

Quoting violinjewel:

This.

Quoting LOswald0314:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Gamergirl_98
by on Nov. 27, 2011 at 5:21 PM

OOVOO is also a good choice. I think it is better quality than Skype. I haven't used google talk so I can't compare those two.

usmclife58
by Nikki on Nov. 28, 2011 at 10:45 PM

Quoting yasbobari:

Quoting violinjewel:

This.

Quoting LOswald0314:

Maddies_mom101
by on Nov. 28, 2011 at 10:49 PM

no showing boobs on skype

baquick
by on Nov. 28, 2011 at 10:50 PM
Skype is pretty easy. You can "call" anyone who has Skype via the computer. You can also call normal numbers but that costs. The video quality is hit or miss but it is the easiest. Make sure you have a microphone either in your headset (if you use one) or on the webcam. Be sure to do the test call to adjust your settings. Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)