Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

First PCS!!! Rucker!!

Posted by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 8:21 PM
  • 21 Replies

So we recently found out that we are Rucker Bound! This will be our first PCS, since DH is a Reservist. He is going to be a Warrant Officer. I am so nervous. I have never moved to somewhere where I don't know anyone. Any Rucker wives have any tips for me? We have decided to live off post, and rent an apartment. Anyone know of areas to look at or stay away from? We are leaning towards Enterprise I think. We have one son who is too young for school, and won't be going to day care. So that is not an issue for us.

Anyone been through this program before? Anything I should know going in?

I feel like I have a thousand questions, but I don't even know what to ask, since this is my first time PCSing.

Any tips welcome!!!

TIA!!!!!!!!!!

by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 8:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
violinjewel
by Julia on Dec. 3, 2011 at 8:47 PM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lilnena98
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 8:53 PM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
.SoldiersWife.
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 8:55 PM
I'm in dothan. Steer clear of daleville or newton as possible places to live. There's more in dothan also. Enterprise is tiny.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
adrianna1043
by on Dec. 4, 2011 at 3:07 AM

I have been there a few times, I loved Enterprise.  Dothan would be a bit of a commute for your dh to go to school from.  What questions do you have? 

aviatorswife
by on Dec. 4, 2011 at 3:28 AM

We were at Rucker a few years ago for WOCS and  flight school. I would try to find a place in Enterprise. Theres more to do there with less commute. We lived on post until we had a major issue with mold that housing would do nothing about and then we moved off post to Daleville. We loved living in Daleville. We payed much less rent than those in Enterprise, but the down side is there is not much to do. It's a bit of a drive to Enterprise, but we didn't mind for the savings we had on our home. We also had a larger yard. It really depend on what your preferences are. Daleville isn't unsafe, just really small. 

As for the program I'm not sure. To me it was a pretty straight forward Army school.  If you have anything specific I'm happy to try to give you an answer. 

The Nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools.

CountryStrong84
by on Dec. 4, 2011 at 7:37 AM
I went to school in troy! Enjoy Alabama! I miss it!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
.SoldiersWife.
by on Dec. 4, 2011 at 2:03 PM
Not true. Enterprise is smaller and there's way more to do in Dothan. I was born and raised here. They just redid post housing. Still wouldn't want to live on post. Dothan is only a 20 minute commute. Like I said I'm in the area and always have been. You don't want your kids in school in Daleville at all.

Quoting aviatorswife:

We were at Rucker a few years ago for WOCS and  flight school. I would try to find a place in Enterprise. Theres more to do there with less commute. We lived on post until we had a major issue with mold that housing would do nothing about and then we moved off post to Daleville. We loved living in Daleville. We payed much less rent than those in Enterprise, but the down side is there is not much to do. It's a bit of a drive to Enterprise, but we didn't mind for the savings we had on our home. We also had a larger yard. It really depend on what your preferences are. Daleville isn't unsafe, just really small. 

As for the program I'm not sure. To me it was a pretty straight forward Army school.  If you have anything specific I'm happy to try to give you an answer. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
HDCMama
by on Dec. 4, 2011 at 2:18 PM

Well, like I said, schools are not an issue. DS won't be old enough for school even by the time we leave there.

We have never PCSd before. Where do people keep their cars registered or their drivers license? Do you change it every place you go? I know that seems like a stupid question.

HDCMama
by on Dec. 4, 2011 at 2:35 PM

Do you remember how long you waited to get orders? They notified DH a few weeks ago that he had been selected. But we are still waiting on orders.

Quoting aviatorswife:

.SoldiersWife.
by on Dec. 4, 2011 at 3:34 PM
We register it for where we live but o ly once ours are expired.

Quoting HDCMama:

Well, like I said, schools are not an issue. DS won't be old enough for school even by the time we leave there.

We have never PCSd before. Where do people keep their cars registered or their drivers license? Do you change it every place you go? I know that seems like a stupid question.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)