Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Deployment 101

Cafe AmyB
Today at 11:38 AM
Advice for Moms Group - CafeMom

Share parenting and relationship advice, recipes, baby names and everything from potty training to weight loss tips.

Posted by on Dec. 28, 2011 at 10:51 AM
  • 78 Replies
3 moms liked this

This post is a place for us to share advice, questions and personal stories about deployment. 

Here are some of the top tips from the moms in this group:

• Skype whenever you can
  • Keep yourself busy with hobbies
  • Get a video camera to record special moments
  • Send care packages as often as possible
  • Remember OPSEC and don't share too much information with family and friends

For more info:

Click here to see the latest posts on the Military Moms group:
Let's Talk! Click here to see more posts...

come homePlease share your best advice for those going through a deployment in the replies below!

by on Dec. 28, 2011 at 10:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
armymom194
by on Jan. 2, 2012 at 6:12 PM
3 moms liked this

how do I say good bye to my 19 yr old son? he is heading to Afhganistan in a matter of weeks for 18 months.

82 airbourn infantry mortor div.

mommyoftwo1227
by on Jan. 23, 2012 at 8:18 PM
Saying goodbye is so hard. The best advice I can give you is to know that it isn't forever and make sure that you have lots of options for communication. Make sure he has a computer with Skype already set up, send him with envelopes, stamps and paper. I also sent my DH with an address book full of everyone's email addresses, addresses and phone numbers. Also know you aren't alone, try to stay connected with others going through the same thing. Good luck to you and your son :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AnnasMom2011
by on Jan. 24, 2012 at 6:21 AM
6 moms liked this

This might sound crazy but I watched as little TV news as possible for the 12 month deployment. You'll make yourself crazy listening to all the stories and wondering if your loved one was involved. Try and find other spouses/moms in the unit.

Melbornj
by Melissa on Jan. 26, 2012 at 11:24 PM
1 mom liked this
You just do because riot have no other choice. Then you pick yourself up and make it through each day.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tazz67mom
by on Jan. 27, 2012 at 10:28 AM
9 moms liked this

I agree with the list above, but one thing I did was select my friends carefully. Some of the wives hit the bars and sat around and bashed their husbands. I stayed clear of those wives. I selected friends that stayed busy with activities with their kids, hung out at each other's houses and enjoyed adult time after the kids were asleep. We lived within walking distance so having a few glasses of wine to relax and chat wasn't an issue. Being around positive people keeps you positive.

tashamac26
by on Jan. 31, 2012 at 12:49 PM

hello out there

tashamac26
by on Jan. 31, 2012 at 12:50 PM

i am a mother of four and i want to enlist in army and im searching for mothers who have gone through the same thing

MarineMomInNM
by on Jan. 31, 2012 at 6:44 PM

Hi everyone. I am a NM Marine mom of a soon to be 20 year old son who is deployed in Bahrain. I am  struggling with this because he is also my best and only true friend. I live alone and well it's hard. I don't have many friends. I do the extreme couponing thing to keep me busy a little. Does anyone else have a child in Bahrain and does anyone know what type of action is going on there?

Thanks,

Raychel

BahamaMama102
by on Feb. 10, 2012 at 8:12 PM

My son is deployed.  He and his wife have been invited toa wedding.  Would it be appropriate for her to ask the bride if she could bring a friend to join her?

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Feb. 11, 2012 at 6:59 AM

Great post!  Thanks for sharing:)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN