Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

TRICARE 101

Posted by on Dec. 28, 2011 at 10:52 AM
  • 31 Replies
1 mom liked this

This post is a place for us to share advice, questions and personal stories about TRICARE. 

Here are some of the top tips from the moms in this group:

• TRICARE sometimes covers midwives
  • You have 60 days to enroll babies in DEERS
  • If you have TRICARE prime there are no co-pays, it's free
  • If you have TRICARE standard there are co-pays, but you get to choose your doctor
  • With TRICARE you can have your medicines delivered to your home

For more info:

Click here to see the latest posts on the Military Moms group:
Let's Talk! Click here to see more posts...

nursePlease share your best advice for those using TRICARE in the replies below!

by on Dec. 28, 2011 at 10:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Sparta.
by Bronze Member on Dec. 28, 2011 at 2:24 PM
If you have prime, depending where you are you can choose on or off post, male or female providers.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ambermarie2006
by on Dec. 28, 2011 at 2:35 PM

Do you have to contact Tricare to get a PCM? or do you just pick one out of the directory?

Sparta.
by Bronze Member on Dec. 28, 2011 at 2:48 PM
Youre at jblm right? Uhm....either way you contact tricare but if you are talking about offpost I think you can call tricare and ask if you can go to that one.

Quoting ambermarie2006:

Do you have to contact Tricare to get a PCM? or do you just pick one out of the directory?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sparta.
by Bronze Member on Dec. 28, 2011 at 2:49 PM
Nevermind thought you were someone else sorry! Same answer thoigh lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
buttercup627
by Member on Dec. 28, 2011 at 3:29 PM

My husband has DD on his insurance (civilian blue cross) but I'd still like to enroll her. I don't really understand what tricare or deers are. If you have the breakdown on that plus the documents needed to enroll them I'd appreciate it

LOswald0314
by on Dec. 28, 2011 at 3:54 PM
1 mom liked this
Go to the tricare office at your base. DEERS is the defense enrollment system. If you are already a service member your family members should be in the system, you only have to add new members if you have a baby, adopt, etc. You should have enrolled them during basic training.

Quoting buttercup627:

My husband has DD on his insurance (civilian blue cross) but I'd still like to enroll her. I don't really understand what tricare or deers are. If you have the breakdown on that plus the documents needed to enroll them I'd appreciate it

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
buttercup627
by Member on Dec. 28, 2011 at 3:59 PM

I had her after I enlisted and she's my onle dependant. Do I need to bring her or any of her paperwork?

Quoting LOswald0314:

Go to the tricare office at your base. DEERS is the defense enrollment system. If you are already a service member your family members should be in the system, you only have to add new members if you have a baby, adopt, etc. You should have enrolled them during basic training.

Quoting buttercup627:

LOswald0314
by on Dec. 28, 2011 at 4:11 PM
When did you have her? They should have given you the paperwork at the hospital.... There is also a deers office you can go to for help.

Quoting buttercup627:

I had her after I enlisted and she's my onle dependant. Do I need to bring her or any of her paperwork?

Quoting LOswald0314:

Quoting buttercup627:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Maddies_mom101
by on Dec. 28, 2011 at 4:19 PM

make sure you always get a referal don't just assume tricare will send a referal, sometimes they don't and it can be a mess

penneylane
by Silver Member on Dec. 28, 2011 at 7:09 PM
1 mom liked this

keep on top of EVERYTHING with tricare and the drs office.
we have tricare prime remote and right now we are dealing with almost $500 in drs bills. one is 165 due to the peds mistake and tricare isnt retroactive and then i just received a 300 dollar one from my ob so i have to deal with them tomorrow to correct their billing as it should be covered.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN