Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Care Packages 101

Posted by on Dec. 28, 2011 at 11:04 AM
  • 15 Replies
5 moms liked this

This post is a place for us to share advice, questions and personal stories about sending care packages. 

Here are some of the top tips from moms in the group:

• You can mail baked goods, just make sure they're packed to stay fresh
  • Non-perishable items are best.  Magazines, hard candy, books, beef jerky
  • Wrap your packages very carefully. Boxes are often traveling a long distance, sometimes in very hot weather
  • Pictures and letters from home can be the most desirable gifts
  • Do not send candies that melt, alcohol, firearms or anything in an aersol can

For more info:

Click here to see the latest posts on the Military Moms group:
Let's Talk! Click here to see more posts...

giftPlease share your best advice for sending care packages in the replies below!

by on Dec. 28, 2011 at 11:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Klynn-whitlow
by on Dec. 28, 2011 at 2:05 PM

Thanks!!

LorinLizziesMom
by on Dec. 28, 2011 at 7:16 PM
2 moms liked this

Those stupid little nerf guns that shoot foam suction cup darts are awesome. And acceptable. The guys will play with them like they're five again.

dr_m
by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 2:29 PM
1 mom liked this

Sending a care package is such a great means of support for our deployed loved ones.. There could be things they actually can't get there, depending on the local resources, or fun things like little picture albums, their favorite snacks (if they won't melt !) , books and magazines, and cards for example made by the kids !

marilyn

Group Owner,  Care Packages Unlimited

yellow ribbon

blondie.mom
by Charity on Mar. 5, 2012 at 2:43 PM
Lol yes!!!

Quoting LorinLizziesMom:

Those stupid little nerf guns that shoot foam suction cup darts are awesome. And acceptable. The guys will play with them like they're five again.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
salamandersmom
by on Sep. 11, 2012 at 2:32 AM

Oh, wow, thank you so much.  My middle boy is going to Afghanistan in November.  I was wondering what to send, and how to send it.  The nerf gun thing sounds like fun, those will DEFINITELY be in the box for Christmas.   How long does it take for the box to get there? 

SoLuckysAngel
by on Sep. 11, 2012 at 3:46 AM
1 mom liked this
On his combat deployments, my hubby loved the pre-packaged tuna meals, country time lemonade drink mix (the individual packets) and socks in every box. Other than that there were lots of pictures, hard candy, granola type bars, nuts.

Things for local kids are great too. Sometimes the guys will pass out candy, pencils, etc to the kids by where they are.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GrandeRoyale
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 2:48 PM
1 mom liked this

This is a great information. Thanks for sharing.

Hulagirl55
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 2:23 AM
5 moms liked this

I am deployed right now. Here are a few items that I love to see in care packages:

1. shower shoes/cheap flip flops- I'm on my fourth or fifth pair in 5 months. They break easily (since I have cheap ones) plus they are just gross after awhile.

2. Shower loofa/sponge- once that thing accidently hits the ground- it's basically toxic. I've dropped two loofas and went days, weeks without one before getting another.

3. HEALTHY snacks, mixed nuts, jerky, trail mix. Most people are working out daily or sometimes twice daily and eating as healthy as possible in the chow halls. A lot of candy that comes in care packages gets left in the box and shared for whoever else wants them.

4. Itunes gift cards

5. ALWAYS letters/pictures from family and friends =) 

Want more suggestions? Just let me know...

Cafe MichelleP
by Head Admin on Mar. 8, 2013 at 1:43 PM
1 mom liked this

This is great! Thanks

Quoting Hulagirl55:

I am deployed right now. Here are a few items that I love to see in care packages:

1. shower shoes/cheap flip flops- I'm on my fourth or fifth pair in 5 months. They break easily (since I have cheap ones) plus they are just gross after awhile.

2. Shower loofa/sponge- once that thing accidently hits the ground- it's basically toxic. I've dropped two loofas and went days, weeks without one before getting another.

3. HEALTHY snacks, mixed nuts, jerky, trail mix. Most people are working out daily or sometimes twice daily and eating as healthy as possible in the chow halls. A lot of candy that comes in care packages gets left in the box and shared for whoever else wants them.

4. Itunes gift cards

5. ALWAYS letters/pictures from family and friends =) 

Want more suggestions? Just let me know...

courtneycatt
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 2:05 PM
1 mom liked this

Just about anything from the dollar section at Target!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN