Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

PCSing 101

Posted by on Dec. 28, 2011 at 11:08 AM
  • 18 Replies
2 moms liked this

This post is a place for us to share
advice, questions and personal stories about PCSing. 

Here are some of the top tips from moms in this group:

• As soon as you get your orders, start researching the new base, neighborhoods and schools
  • Take pictures of everything before the movers arrive. Include the serial numbers on electronics
  • Make sure your pets are prepared for an overseas move with vaccinations and travel plans
  • Get your children involved with the move, allowing them to make some of the decisions
  • Embrace your adventure and make new friends

For more info:

Click here to see the latest posts on the Military Moms group:
Let's Talk! Click here to see more posts...

airplanePlease share your best advice for PCSing in the replies below!

by on Dec. 28, 2011 at 11:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Klynn-whitlow
by on Dec. 28, 2011 at 2:06 PM

Thank!

emwatt55
by on Feb. 13, 2012 at 9:28 PM

Hello all!! The lovely Army has just informed us that we are PCSing to Vilseck, Germany in July. As of right now we are on assignment instructions, but have not had our offical orders cut. We were stationed in Hohenfels from 03-06 so we aren't completely ignorant on the topic ;). Any advice on what to get started? I know we need to start on EFMP screenings. We sent off for our tourist passports today, and when those get back we should have orders and we can send off for our official gov't ones. It feels like it's been a million years since I did this the first time and this time we have two kids!

How's the housing situation in Vilseck?

Also, the hubby is 11B, what unit are they sending the guys too now that the 172nd is being dissolved.

Thx in advance :)

youngADHDmom
by on Jun. 13, 2012 at 4:57 PM

So my husband is in Tech school right now at Ft Sam houston in San antonio texas and on his Air force portal acct (same thing as army AKO) it says is first base will be Lackland AFB which is also in San Antonio. I'm in Kansas right now and I've never PCS'd as a wife before. He doesnt graduate until most likely the week that school starts and i want to be down there for the kids to start school hopefully on time and hopefully on post. I'm so confused. I guess i dont really have a question other than how the heck do i do all this. He is only an E1. He will get his E3 when he graduates we are barely getting by and there is no way we could front the moving money. So yeah very stressed.

EmDo
by on Oct. 19, 2012 at 2:31 PM

Hello, All! My husband went to retention a few days ago and is re enlisting on Halloween for Ansbach, Germany! This will be our first PCS ever and we're both very excited and very nervous! I have family about an hour and a half away from Ansbach in Heidelberg, but I still have so many questions!
How do the fuel rations work?
Do we both get a rations card, or is it one card for both of us?
How much is alloted for the rations per month?
Is it better to live on or off post in Ansbach?
It is just my husband and myself, so are we allowed to have a two bedroom, or does it have to be one?
We will be going at the same time, so do we still need to set up a Power of Attorney and a Will?
Should we get rid of our washer and dryer before going?
Any information on the Ansbach area and post is GREATLY appreciated as well as any answers to the previous questions! Thanks so much!

"Today you are you. That's truer than true. There is no one alive who is youer than you!" - Dr. Seuss
chrlstoncharmed
by Melissa on Oct. 20, 2012 at 11:46 AM

It would be better if you made your own post to ask your questions. Most people ignore these "101" posts.

Quoting EmDo:

Hello, All! My husband went to retention a few days ago and is re enlisting on Halloween for Ansbach, Germany! This will be our first PCS ever and we're both very excited and very nervous! I have family about an hour and a half away from Ansbach in Heidelberg, but I still have so many questions!
How do the fuel rations work?
Do we both get a rations card, or is it one card for both of us?
How much is alloted for the rations per month?
Is it better to live on or off post in Ansbach?
It is just my husband and myself, so are we allowed to have a two bedroom, or does it have to be one?
We will be going at the same time, so do we still need to set up a Power of Attorney and a Will?
Should we get rid of our washer and dryer before going?
Any information on the Ansbach area and post is GREATLY appreciated as well as any answers to the previous questions! Thanks so much!

nikistar22
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 6:36 AM

Anybody ever lived in dodge city kansas

biancalina20
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 4:31 PM

Hello! My SO will be leaving in September to Boot Camp.. and then he has his school In Groton CT. (Navy)

I was told that his school is about 8 months and since it is over 6 months, they will move us as well. I am nervous about the move and excited. How does the move work?? =)

sahmw2010
by Beth on Jul. 2, 2013 at 4:37 PM
I cant answer about housing at vilsek. I know 1 11B unit is deploying this month. U need to take drivers trainin before u can drive there. So look into where u can get that done by ur post.

Quoting emwatt55:

Hello all!! The lovely Army has just informed us that we are PCSing to Vilseck, Germany in July. As of right now we are on assignment instructions, but have not had our offical orders cut. We were stationed in Hohenfels from 03-06 so we aren't completely ignorant on the topic ;). Any advice on what to get started? I know we need to start on EFMP screenings. We sent off for our tourist passports today, and when those get back we should have orders and we can send off for our official gov't ones. It feels like it's been a million years since I did this the first time and this time we have two kids!

Also, the hubby is 11B, what unit are they sending the guys too now that the 172nd is being dissolved.

sahmw2010
by Beth on Jul. 2, 2013 at 4:39 PM
Sorry. Didnt realize this was an old post. Im sure u know everything by now. Lol

Quoting emwatt55:

RMBrooks
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 6:23 PM
Hi Everyone,

My name is Robin and I'm completely new to
this sight and group.
I'm a new Navy wife with seven year old, twin girls that
resides in Hawaii. I met my hubby here and married him here
and the other day, he came home and informed me that
the Navy may not allow him to reassign here for another 3 years.
Hubby told me that in his job field, there was a billet opening for a
foreign tour in Japan and he was excited about it, because he'd never been
there and I asked what about us.
He said the Navy had offered an accompanied tour, but the place
we might be going, I've never heard of and know little about. He checked out the
educational and special medical needs for our girls, so I know we're good there as
far as the EFMP stuff, but my question is this: Has anyone ever heard of Atsugi
or pulled duty there?
I'd like to learn as much as I can about this place, before I have to live there.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)