Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Ft. Polk Army Wives?

Posted by on Jan. 10, 2012 at 12:57 PM
  • 40 Replies

Are there any army wives on here that are located in Ft. Polk?

by on Jan. 10, 2012 at 12:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bramamber
by Amber on Jan. 10, 2012 at 5:12 PM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lalaballet
by on Jan. 10, 2012 at 8:58 PM

I was for four years and can connect you to moms still there if you'd like.

lalaballet
by on Jan. 10, 2012 at 8:58 PM

Where are you from in Texas?  I was raised in Dallas and am in El Paso (bliss) now.

MrzDempsey
by on Feb. 6, 2012 at 9:47 PM
I just moved here last week! Im from beaumont Tx
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SammyKam
by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 2:05 PM

I think we're moving there in the Spring.  What should we be looking out for in terms of off-post housing and schools for our kids (15,13,9)?

What do you like and dislike?

mlogsdon
by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 4:13 PM
Just left there after almost 5 years ;)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
dmfab09
by on Apr. 23, 2012 at 9:31 PM
We are PCSing to Polk, would love to "meet" some ladies prior to getting there. I know NOTHNG about the area...
fourlittlebees
by on Apr. 24, 2012 at 8:32 AM

We are PCSing to Polk too in June/July time frame.  I am originally from the area and we are excited! :)  We are going to live on post, if we can, but the wait is long.  I've been eying AHRN for rentals but seems expensive.  We'll probably go for some place in Rosepine if we have to live off post.

dmfab09
by on Apr. 24, 2012 at 1:32 PM
Well like I said, I know nothing about the area. I have only met one person in my entire life who liked it there. Constantly hearing/reading about how bad it is has really been wearing on me. On base housing is not even close to worth the BAH they'll take from us. So we know for sure we want to live off post. We've been told to stay away from Leesville impossible, but things in other smaller towns are few and far between. I watch Ahrn, craigslist, bookoo, and realty listings all the time for rentals. We have 2 dogs and a cat that are not negotiable...so I've been telling my friends & family we're probably going to end up living in a van down by the river lol. If I had just one thing to look forward to for every ten negative thi gs I'm told, I could handle it...but so far I can't even get that. So maybe you will have some insight to that lol. I hope the wait list goes quickly, or you find something you like in Rosepine. Where are you PCSing from?
fourlittlebees
by on Apr. 24, 2012 at 4:56 PM

From my understanding about housing is, people say it is not worth the BAH.  But the BAH is not enough to cover off post so it's the best value.  So in turn, I guess it is worth the BAH. :-/  I have also been told do not be fooled by the outside; most of the interiors have been completely renovated.  We did live in base housing one time when we were stationed there in 2003-2005.  It was completely renovated and hugemoungus on the inside (3 bedrooms, 2.5 bath, llving room, dining room, den, laundry room, & covered patio).  So I hope it's okay.  

We are coming from Fort Bragg.  We still have to sell our house but are thinking about just renting it so we can get move faster, get settled before school starts in the fall.    

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)