Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Any tips when you have to move?

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 8:34 AM
  • 11 Replies

Please,

If any of you ladies have tips on how to transition through a move smoothy it'll be greatly appreciated! I'm not sure if we are transfering this fall or next summer, but I'd like to get a little head start on keeping thing orderly. The last move was a mess (my first move with hubs). So if you ladies could share your tips that would be great! Like how can you find a job ahead of time so when you get there you won't be stressed looking for a job? Is there any military spousal support to help you find a job? And what about schools? What about finding an apartment in short time? How do you deal with these moves? :) Lets all share.

I know one thing I learned was keep your important papers with you!

by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 8:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LorinLizziesMom
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 8:59 AM

usajobs.gov lists the federal positions (think ACS, hospital, CYS, Commissary etc...) and aafes.com has px, bk and other aafes jobs. These jobs all have military spouse priority as well as vet pref if you are a vet.

ADaltonmommy
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 9:02 AM
The base usually has a website with jobs listed. Sometimes you can sign up for short term jobs until you can find a more permanent one such a sub teacher. And there is always lots of housing around bases unless they are taking in lots of people at once then your best bet is looking for people renting homes.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Dani_Lynn
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 9:03 AM
I always take pillows, and blankets.for the air mattress, a stock pot, skilled and sauce pan and a few utensils to she able to cook while in TLF. I saw the maintainence man at Riley use one of the supplied pans to empty a discussing clog and will never use the supplied stuff again.

A few cheap new nous to distract loss when they're tired of being I'm the car or a new movie for.the portable DVD player.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gunsgirl
by Silver Member on Jan. 15, 2012 at 9:12 AM

for jobs try http://www.snagajob.com/ and http://www.indeed.com/ there is transitional assistance for the member if he is getting out, and there is assistance at each base for spouses .different branches call it different things.

lilnena98
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 9:36 AM

You can start looking for jobs online. You can go to oyour local ACS office, they have someone who can help with resume writing, and job search. I would do the resume now so it's ready for when you leave. If you are working now, can you not transfer?

What we have done is looked online for houses/apts. With how things are now I am sure there is a FB page on about every post so you canjoin and ask what areas are good and which are bad.

DizneyMomma2001
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 11:47 AM

About 2 months out, start looking for a place to live.  Get some feelers out there and figure out what you can afford.  We will be on the road from Drum to Lewis on the 1st of March.  I've already started to contact property managers so we can choose a place, get the paperwork done, send in some money so it doesn't get rented and then when we get there cross all our T's, dot our I's and get our keys.

Also, take some basic things with you for until you get your HHG's.  Frying pan, stock pot, spatula, ect.  Then buy the famous fancy family wear (paper and plastic) at the grocery store to eat off of.  

3totsinabox
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 4:17 PM
I liked to have everything packed or at least organized how I wanted it sorted. I hated finding random items together in a box. Like bathroom stuff with kitchen. A least a month a head, I threw out any junk. If you are able to, have a yard sale, extra money is always good. It made it easier the move. Not sure on the job. Housing I either lived on base or found housing close. I would not suggest signing a lease till you get there because although it may look nice, you may find you are in a area you don't want to be.
InMediasRes
by on Jan. 16, 2012 at 12:09 AM

Call TLF as soon as you get orders and make reservations -they go quickly during the high PCS season. Tell your husband to request a sponsor from the receiving unit (the people he's going to work for); if you get a good sponsor they'll be able to tell you things like what areas to look for apartments and what areas to stay away from, help you get oriented to the new town, and hopefully help you get settled a little more quickly. If possible, get a couple of friends to come over on packing day and keep an eye on the movers -after 20 years in the military I have yet to meet someone who hasn't had something stolen and/or destroyed by their packing crew at least once. =(  Stop stocking up on groceries a couple of months before you move, and try to eat what's left in your fridge and pantry. The military will move canned and unopened dry goods, but if you're close to your weight allowance, you don't want to go over because you have a lot of canned foods. Spices are expensive to replace, so you can double-bag them with ziplocs and seal them in an airtight rubbermaid (so they don't attract bugs) and let the movers pack it. Or, you can put them all in a rubbermaid and take them with you so you can have them when you're cooking in TLF.

Hope that helps....I've got more tips if you're traveling with kids! =)

NutHouseMomma
by on Jan. 16, 2012 at 10:01 AM

Not trying to be rude or a smart ass, but don't you guys have a sponsor that sends you packets with all that info, or have a resource office that offers those packets? I know even after the internet came around we still got packets when the hubster was active duty.

But I am pretty sure the base you will be transferring to has a website with all the area information, complete with links!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
akgraff
by on Jan. 18, 2012 at 9:12 PM

no. We didn't get a sponser, we didn't get any packets, nothing. The only thing I knew about was that they were sending a bunch of guys to pack my stuff and they did a poopy job packing and I didn't know about how to find a job through the military sites. No one helped us out when we asked and our Yoeman wasn't very helpful either. The yoeman didn't do our papers correctly or submit them correctly and we got screwed over pretty badly and It took such a long time to fix

Quoting NutHouseMomma:

Not trying to be rude or a smart ass, but don't you guys have a sponsor that sends you packets with all that info, or have a resource office that offers those packets? I know even after the internet came around we still got packets when the hubster was active duty.

But I am pretty sure the base you will be transferring to has a website with all the area information, complete with links!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)