• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

When to start him in Kindergarten?

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 11:18 AM
  • 9 Replies

My son will be 5 August 12th. I am beginning to wonder if he will be ready for kidergarten ir if maybe he should start next year when he is 6. Has anyone waited until their child was a little older before getting him into kindergarten? Is it a good idea to wait or just see how they do being a young 5.

by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 11:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
littlemonaghan
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 11:29 AM

I was a young 5...I turned 5 a week before the cut off, but my mom had me in a preschool program before that.

Has your son been in any type of preschool? Are you doing any schooling at home with him? Its really up to you and how ready you think your son is. I teach preschool, so in my class I make sure my kids know their colors, can count to at least 10, most can count much higher, know their shapes and *most* of the alphabet...that whole L, M, N, O, P part usually because a jumbled mumble. I also start to teach them some simple math, some grasp it, others don't. I cover a lot of stuff in my preschool class though, we had a very large and expansive curriculum. If you feel your son can cover the basic stuff then by all means send him on his way, but even if he can't he'll catch up quickly, and they cover all of that in kindergarten anyway. :)

ktelizabeth814
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 11:29 AM
Absolutely a good idea to hold him if you aren't sure. If you are asking...he may not be ready. We waited to send my ds to kindergarten @ 6. His bday is july 12. He did prek @ 5. It was by far the nest choice for him. Academically he was ready @ 5 but he wasn't ready to sit still,focus,and learn. He is now in kindergarten t
his year & is excelling. He is even advanced in his reading & math. Last year in prek he was never "bad" but he fidgeted & tended to join in when the others were goofin off. This year there's been none of that. Ultimetly you have to make the decision but my advice is hold him till 6.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lilnena98
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 11:46 AM

Quoting littlemonaghan:

I was a young 5...I turned 5 a week before the cut off, but my mom had me in a preschool program before that.

Has your son been in any type of preschool? Are you doing any schooling at home with him? Its really up to you and how ready you think your son is. I teach preschool, so in my class I make sure my kids know their colors, can count to at least 10, most can count much higher, know their shapes and *most* of the alphabet...that whole L, M, N, O, P part usually because a jumbled mumble. I also start to teach them some simple math, some grasp it, others don't. I cover a lot of stuff in my preschool class though, we had a very large and expansive curriculum. If you feel your son can cover the basic stuff then by all means send him on his way, but even if he can't he'll catch up quickly, and they cover all of that in kindergarten anyway. :)

usmclife58
by Nikki on Jan. 15, 2012 at 11:48 AM

I think it would be better to send him- and if he is not ready to move on to 1st grade (which the teacher will discuss with you), then he can repeat kindergarten. Kindergarten is a stepping stone, and not THAT serious to question "is he ready" IMO.

jas_momof2
by アニメの雌犬 on Jan. 15, 2012 at 1:24 PM

5 is fine...

jas_momof2
by アニメの雌犬 on Jan. 15, 2012 at 1:27 PM

All kids are fidgety...  The point of Kinder is to TEACH him the skills he's going to need for his school career...

ANavyGirl
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 1:32 PM

Quoting jas_momof2:

All kids are fidgety...  The point of Kinder is to TEACH him the skills he's going to need for his school career...

penneylane
by Silver Member on Jan. 15, 2012 at 1:49 PM

dd will be 6 because she has a late birthday but if she met the cut off age she would go at 5. at home we don't even have age cut offs so kids go when they are still 4 and it was rare to see a child "fail." i'd send him and if he isn't ready for grade 1 just hold him back.

Maddies_mom101
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 3:13 PM

This!

Quoting usmclife58:

I think it would be better to send him- and if he is not ready to move on to 1st grade (which the teacher will discuss with you), then he can repeat kindergarten. Kindergarten is a stepping stone, and not THAT serious to question "is he ready" IMO.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)