Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is this illegal?

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 12:11 PM
  • 19 Replies
I work for a home care company. Part of my job is charting, after we turn in our paperwork it is reviewed. If there is an error they won't mail your check. You have to go in to the office fix the mistake and then they will release your check. Well... I rarely work Bc of school. They are withholding my w2 until I come in and present my up to date insurance card. Illegal?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 12:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
amberdy
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 12:12 PM

I'm not sure if it is illegal, but it sounds shady to me.

barrelracer1699
by Chel on Feb. 8, 2012 at 12:13 PM

I'm with Amber on this one!

Quoting amberdy:

I'm not sure if it is illegal, but it sounds shady to me.

thenguyenclan
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 12:17 PM

im pretty sure all companies are required to give you your W2 by a certain date (jan 31?) so it may be illegal...but why would they make you prove your insurance?? what does that do for them in terms of giving you your W2?

OliviasMommy611
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 12:18 PM
Ca insurance.. Home care

Quoting thenguyenclan:

im pretty sure all companies are required to give you your W2 by a certain date (jan 31?) so it may be illegal...but why would they make you prove your insurance?? what does that do for them in terms of giving you your W2?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
thenguyenclan
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 12:29 PM

okay.....i looked on the IRS site and it just gives you a phone number you can call and whatnot if you dont receive your form by the 14th of february...800–829–1040 

Quoting OliviasMommy611:

Ca insurance.. Home care

Quoting thenguyenclan:

usmclife58
by Nikki on Feb. 8, 2012 at 12:58 PM
1 mom liked this

Your school and not working as much does not excuse not meeting company requirements. I don't know if it is illegal to withhold your W2, but I would expect not so great consequences for not giving them what they require.

beerebelly
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 12:59 PM

Can you not get down there and show the card so you can get your W-2 and be done with it?

OliviasMommy611
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 1:07 PM
My insurance company faxed them a copy. They said they couldn't read it but I was unaware of this until I called yesterday to find out where my w2 was.

Quoting usmclife58:

Your school and not working as much does not excuse not meeting company requirements. I don't know if it is illegal to withhold your W2, but I would expect not so great consequences for not giving them what they require.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
OliviasMommy611
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 1:08 PM
30 minute drive so I was hoping It would just be mailed. That's why I have my stuff faxed, avoid unnecessary drives.

Quoting beerebelly:

Can you not get down there and show the card so you can get your W-2 and be done with it?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
opal10161973
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 1:17 PM

I have worked for many companies over the years.  They cannot hold your W2 for ANY reason!  They can request you come in and give them the information and not allow you to work until you do, but withholding your W2 is wrong.  I found this regarding W2's.  I hope it helps.

Call the IRS at 800-829-1040 and they can talk to your employer. You can also file a Form 4852, Substitute for Form W-2, Wage and Tax Statement and submit for taxes so they are not delayed in filing any longer.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)