• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

prepping for boot camp

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 4:22 PM
  • 62 Replies
1 mom liked this

I am beginning the process of enlisting in the Navy since withdrawing from school this semester completely screwed me over on financial aid. I was wondering if anyone had some advice on what I should be doing to prep for basic training. Anything from any special diet, work outs, mental prep or anything else would be great. I went through 8 of the 9 weeks of Army basic training but I never did anything to really be ready for the physical aspect of training before I left and I am not making that mistake again. It was one hell of a transition going from my main work out being yoga 3 times a week to doing PT 6 days a week. Muscles I didn't even know existed were hurting. TIA!

by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 4:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ASigler86
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 4:30 PM
Run, sit ups, push ups.

If you need help with push ups- start with planks.

If you don't like running, try rucking. Distance, not speed is the focus for those that don't "enjoy" running. That way when the weight is lifted and the run is shorter, it will feel like a cake walk.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
usmclife58
by Nikki on Feb. 8, 2012 at 4:31 PM

Quoting ASigler86:

Run, sit ups, push ups.

If you need help with push ups- start with planks.

If you don't like running, try rucking. Distance, not speed is the focus for those that don't "enjoy" running. That way when the weight is lifted and the run is shorter, it will feel like a cake walk.

lovingwifey
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 4:34 PM

I did Army basic and AIT it really was not that bad.  It is "harder" than the Navy though, thats for sure.

My SIL just got done with her training in December.  She said it is mostly classes the whole time.  She said it was a walk in the park and this girl never exercised.  She was in band in HS.  She said it was very easy.  It is more classes than anything.  She said they do, hand to hand but not much like the Army does.  You will be fine.  

ASigler86
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 4:34 PM
Also, learn your rank structure. Do your best to learn facing movements, Navy Song (anchors away), Creed, Core Values. The more you learn before you leave; the smoother your time there will be.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ASigler86
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 4:35 PM
Are you saying she shouldn't prepare? Even if it is "easy", you should always be prepared for what you are walking into.

Quoting lovingwifey:

I did Army basic and AIT it really was not that bad.  It is "harder" than the Navy though, thats for sure.

My SIL just got done with her training in December.  She said it is mostly classes the whole time.  She said it was a walk in the park and this girl never exercised.  She was in band in HS.  She said it was very easy.  It is more classes than anything.  She said they do, hand to hand but not much like the Army does.  You will be fine.  

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lovingwifey
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 4:38 PM

I never said not to prepare, but from what my SIL told me the OP should not worry too much.  She made it 8 out of the 9 weeks of the Army Basic so she should be fine.  Of course she should prepare, just not stress.  I am pretty sure the OP knows what she is getting herself into. 

Quoting ASigler86:

Are you saying she shouldn't prepare? Even if it is "easy", you should always be prepared for what you are walking into.

Quoting lovingwifey:

magicalmommy12
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 4:59 PM
1 mom liked this

Luckily I can ask my grandfather to help me out with learning that stuff since he retired from the Navy as a Chief Petty Officer. Youtube is also a great thing for learning songs. I should be able to know everything by heart by the time Im done with the enlistment process and waiting to ship out although Id hope I can get to basic training faster with the Navy then I could with the Army.

Quoting ASigler86:

Also, learn your rank structure. Do your best to learn facing movements, Navy Song (anchors away), Creed, Core Values. The more you learn before you leave; the smoother your time there will be.

ASigler86
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 5:03 PM
Good Luck with everything!

Quoting magicalmommy12:

Luckily I can ask my grandfather to help me out with learning that stuff since he retired from the Navy as a Chief Petty Officer. Youtube is also a great thing for learning songs. I should be able to know everything by heart by the time Im done with the enlistment process and waiting to ship out although Id hope I can get to basic training faster with the Navy then I could with the Army.

Quoting ASigler86:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
magicalmommy12
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 5:26 PM

I have a basic idea of what Im getting into but I definitely dont want to go physically unprepared like I did for Army basic training. I have figured out that if I get my body into at least decent shape before I go then those first few weeks will be a lot easier.

Quoting lovingwifey:

I never said not to prepare, but from what my SIL told me the OP should not worry too much.  She made it 8 out of the 9 weeks of the Army Basic so she should be fine.  Of course she should prepare, just not stress.  I am pretty sure the OP knows what she is getting herself into. 

Quoting ASigler86:

Quoting lovingwifey:

afwifey4510
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 5:40 PM
1 mom liked this
Are you going iin winter or summer? If its summer you "run" everywhere. If it's winter you don't (icy walkways). It's mainly running, skip jumps, mountain climbers, double jumping jacks, 8 count body builders, squats, pushups and sit ups, from what i can remember, the most exhausting part is swim qualifications which is only a one day thing..if you have a ymca or whatever, i would say go there and get in wade in you're clothes (stupid i know) so you get usedbto the additional weight. You're have a jumpsuit on that you have to do all sorts of stuff in.

Good Luck.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)