Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Why do I do this to myself??!!

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 2:25 AM
  • 18 Replies
So my dd is 4 years old. Pretty much since she started eating solids, we have struggled with getting her to eat. It's always been either a struggle, a fight, or I just give in. I never put much thought into it except, she's a picky eater. She is healthy otherwise, and right on track milestone, and height and weight wise. But the last well child visit our pediatrician brought up that we may need to start her seeing a OT to get her on track esp with eating. And ladies, when I say it's bad, it's bad. I've tried it all, offering a new food every single night, letting her choose her meals, letting her participate in the making of the meals, and well the list goes on and on. Lately I have gotten her to try "new" foods, one being mashed potatoes, yes......mashed potatoes! She gagged and almost threw up from it. There was another instance like that with another food, that right now, I cannot remember. I truly, honestly with all my heart never thought there was an actual "issue" persay, because she is a normal 4 year old girl, knows her abc's, colors, numbers, shapes...but foods, forget it! She has no problem eating her brothers puréed foods too. Which clearly is not ok at her age. Also, she had a HUGE aversion to any dr. Dentist, forget it. It's like torture. And this is another symptom of the sensory disorder. I feel like shit, I am a SAHM with my kids, and spend every day doing things with them, teaching them, etc. How in the world did I not realize HOW much of a issue this was until now. We make games out of eating, we sing songs, you name it. Ive just spent the last hour on my stupid phone reading info on this, and I feel like I failed her. She is my absolute world, I want to just cry. I know this is way longer then it should be, so thanks for bearing with me. If any of you have advice on how to go about dealing with this, that would be great, I'm just at a loss. As soon as we get o Hawaii I'm going to get her in an a referral to a OT. Thanks for making it this far! Y'all are awesome and I know you will find a way to make me feel better, :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 2:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
adrianna1043
by Adrianna on Feb. 12, 2012 at 2:32 AM
What's an OT?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
katelynsmommy30
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 2:33 AM
Sorry, occupational therapist (OT)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
adrianna1043
by Adrianna on Feb. 12, 2012 at 2:39 AM
2 moms liked this
My five year old sounds the same way, I wouldn't be that concerned about it. My 12 year old was that way and grew out of it, my seven year old too. I give my five year old pediasure drinks to make sure he gets his vitamins. I guess I have so many kids that I see the trends and stages they all kind of share and grow out of, but from what you described she sounds normal to me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cocoroo
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 2:41 AM
1 mom liked this
If she is growing, I really wouldn't worry. My 17 yo son still gags if ketchup comes to close to him.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
katelynsmommy30
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 2:48 AM
Thank you both, I feel horrible because her diet (meal wise, she eats decent snacks) is so limited. Also what about her horrible aversion to doctors and dentists? It's a huge fight, to where I cannot even physically hold her down because of her strength and fits. And these are not even visits that require shots or any type of work done dental wise. Like I said, I read way to much tonight, and all the checklists that I saw, she seemed to fit in some. I just want her to be happy and ok with certain things, ESP foods, I understand doctors and dentists are an be scary as a child, but this food thing kills me. Any other tips besides what I've tried? What did you do? Thanks again so much!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cocoroo
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 3:07 AM
1 mom liked this
Try the pediasure. My younger son had to drink it because he has always been underweight. My oldest son is still a very picky eater, but he is fine. Try introducing new foods, hopefully she will like something. For my son, it is a texture thing. He just won't eat certain textures and anything tomato based (idk what it is with that).
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Feb. 12, 2012 at 5:46 AM
1 mom liked this

Of course all children are different and go through many different stages, but do what feels right for you and your child mama!  If you want to check out an OT when you get to Hawaii, then do so...there's no harm in trying, and OTs have lots of experience with this stuff, so I bet they could help quite a bit.  If you don't like it or it doesn't do much for your daughter, then take her out of it.  No harm, no foul:)

My son is special needs and primarily fed through a g-tube (feeding tube), and he has serious issues with ALL food!  He's 3 years old but has the overal development of a 12 month old.  He eats mashed bananas & applesauce, and that's it!  His nutrition mainly comes from the Pediasure I put through his tube.  He has Cystic Fibrosis, Autism, Aarskog Syndrome, and Brain Abnormalities/Damage.  Trust me, I understand just how frustrated you are.  I get that way with each and every meal as it's a challenge to get him to eat anything!  

I would definitely try the Pediasure if she'll drink it...just to make sure she's getting all the good stuff she needs.

Good luck mama!

ktelizabeth814
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 8:10 AM
2 moms liked this
I don't know anything about OT but, don't beat yourself up over it. She's happy & overall healthy. You just figured she was a picky eater like so many kids. My dd has a milk allergy (totally different just relating to not realizing there was an health issue). I didn't figure it out till 10mos old. She'd scream all day,never sleep at night,always congested. She has bad reflux so I (and doc) figured that's what the screaming was about. Once I figured it out,she's happy as can be and smiles &7 giggles all day. I could've kicked myself for not figuring it out sooner. We are moms,not doctors. We love them and do the best we can. Good luck & go w your gut feelings.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
barrelracer1699
by Chel on Feb. 12, 2012 at 9:15 AM
1 mom liked this

My 5 yr old is picky as can be with foods. Just recently I have started hiding green beans in dinner and he eats it. He has finally caught on and said he likes them. He also just the other day said he likes peas too. Now if I can get him to like corn it would be great. He is really good about if hes eating something (because he has to) that he doesn't like he will chug water with it, we finally started saying you can get water when you finish whats in your mouth!

USAFamily
by Melissa on Feb. 12, 2012 at 9:23 AM
1 mom liked this
Honestly, as long as she is healthy I wouldn't worry too much. My little girl was really small and not tracking on the charts her Dr. had. But she was developing normally otherwise and eventually hit a growth spurt and eats all the time. Not saying that's the case with your dd, but I would just keep doing what you're doing and dont beat yourself up!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)