Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I need mommy help - please give advice, opinions, stories, etc.

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 8:31 PM
  • 19 Replies

So dh has been gone for two weeks now. We've been able to chat on Fb and talk on the phone a few times but yesterday was the first time we got to skype. Matthew (ds) loved it. He kept telling daddy that "daddy is fighting the bad guys" and they chatted up a storm. However, for the rest of the day Matthew was a terror. I'm almost positive it's due to the chat and withdrawals, but I just don't know what to do. He knows daddy is at work, he knows what he is doing, we have a countdown jar, he helps with care packages.. yet last night was hell. He fell asleep around 630pm because he REFUSES to take a nap now. Then woke up at midnight crying his eyes out, slept for maybe an hour on the couch, then woke up again crying for about 2.5hours. He refused to sleep in his bed, he doesn't want it (so he says), and cries when I put him in it. He's three and I'm just not sure how to deal with this. For tonight (bad I know, but last night was so horrible, I just want to make sure tonight he has a good sleep), I gave him a little children's benadryl to relax him. How do I deal with this? I don't want to give in to his tantrums, I want to keep everything normal, but I feel for him. Advice??

by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 8:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Maddies_mom101
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 8:38 PM

This might sounds harsh  but cut  him from  some of the phone calls and skype. I had a friends whose son would do the same thing  she started not allowing her DS to talk to DH everytime he called.

I would not give in and jsut go about life as it would be with DH home. Does he have a daddy doll?

besosfantasies
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 8:43 PM

Yeah like he was okay with the call, he talked to him twice on the phone a little within the 2 weeks but seeing him on skype was different I think. 

He does not have a daddy doll, I believe I will be ordering one lol. He has a buildabear monkey with a sailor outfit on it and dh's voice saying "mattmatt, its daddy. I love you & I'll be home soon". So flipping cute.. lol but he barely bothers with it.

Quoting Maddies_mom101:

This might sounds harsh  but cut  him from  some of the phone calls and skype. I had a friends whose son would do the same thing  she started not allowing her DS to talk to DH everytime he called.

I would not give in and jsut go about life as it would be with DH home. Does he have a daddy doll?

barrelracer1699
by Chel on Feb. 12, 2012 at 9:23 PM

I'm not sure what to tell ya, I didn't have any problems like that. GL and hope some of these ladies have some good advice for you!

usmclife58
by Nikki on Feb. 12, 2012 at 9:28 PM

I don't know... Lucy usually did better after talking with her daddy.

violinjewel
by Julia on Feb. 12, 2012 at 9:40 PM
My daughter did as well. Bump.

Quoting usmclife58:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
besosfantasies
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 10:30 PM

Dont get me wrong, he loved talking to him. But afterwards he was just a terror, not listening, telling me now, crying most of the night.. like idk what to do.

Quoting violinjewel:

My daughter did as well. Bump.

Quoting usmclife58:

Maddies_mom101
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 10:41 PM
1 mom liked this

i think a daddy doll would be good..... so he can always see daddy, since at his age its all about visual. I would let him talk on the phone but step back form the skype for a bit and see how he does

Quoting besosfantasies:

Yeah like he was okay with the call, he talked to him twice on the phone a little within the 2 weeks but seeing him on skype was different I think. 

He does not have a daddy doll, I believe I will be ordering one lol. He has a buildabear monkey with a sailor outfit on it and dh's voice saying "mattmatt, its daddy. I love you & I'll be home soon". So flipping cute.. lol but he barely bothers with it.

Quoting Maddies_mom101:

lupe_wheeler
by on Feb. 13, 2012 at 1:33 AM

I agree with the daddy doll my kids did really well with it and after skype but I hope that daddy doll works Good luck.My DD did better this deployment cause she knew daddy had to work but my son who was 1.5 was mad when daddy couldnt come home but after a daddy doll it helped cause he would watch movies and hang out with daddy.

meggs8609
by on Feb. 13, 2012 at 2:07 AM

My dd is 3 and she's been a complete terror when DH was underway, started acting better when he was back and then went back to being a terror when he deployed. She refuses to sleep in her room and will only sleep on the couch. I'm going to order her a daddy doll and hopefully that helps. If you find something that works please let me know.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Feb. 13, 2012 at 5:30 AM

What a tough situation mama!  Hugs to you and good luck:)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)