Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Fort Polk anyone??

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 10:50 PM
  • 21 Replies

I will be moving to Fort Polk sometime in the near future to be with my bf, I was just wondering if there were any other ladies there, Im looking to make some friends. thanks!!

by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 10:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mlogsdon
by on Feb. 13, 2012 at 12:48 AM
Just left there in December!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lovemyairman150
by on Feb. 13, 2012 at 2:08 AM
Omg. Good luck! I hated ft Polk! And Leesville! Ugh. Probably hasn't changed at all. BUT we had awesome neighbors! Just the base itself and the tiny town sucked.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
barrelracer1699
by Chel on Feb. 13, 2012 at 9:31 AM

I'm not there but GL on finding someone. I can't say I have seen that anyone is from there but doesn't mean there isn't anyone.

xxlilmomma09
by on Feb. 13, 2012 at 1:14 PM

Two words -- I'm sorry, LOL.

Fort Polk is a very, um, unique experience.

bubbasmomma2006
by on Feb. 13, 2012 at 7:31 PM

lol thanks ladies!!  Im already like weirded out about it....haha I didnt think it was going to be great!  but the good thing is we'll be going to Houston like every weekend so that will help! 

caswebworks
by on Feb. 23, 2012 at 2:46 PM

I am here now however we will be moving on the 2nd and heading to Stewart.

As everyone else has said this is not the greatest place on earth by far but there are a few things that are really nice here.  Hodge's Garden is a great place to go. It is not too far from post...maybe 30 min drive. They have hiking trails, flower gardens, they hold different events during the year and most of all it is very peaceful..oh yeah and a lake that you can paddle boat on.

Another thing that is nice here is the national forest. We find that the roads are super nice and we have been lucky enough to see wild horses, deer, wild boar and some other animals while out driving around...The forest is right outside the gate.

Leesville itself is pretty small. They have a handful of fast food joints and a walmart. To get to a mall you will have to drive about an hour. Girl is you have any question please feel free to ask me.

bubbasmomma2006
by on Feb. 23, 2012 at 8:18 PM

Thank you so much!!  Im not too worried about a mall lol we will be going to TX often to see his kids so ill have that one kinda covered.  Im looking forward to a peaceful place! Thanks again!

mvilliku37
by on Feb. 26, 2012 at 7:49 PM
1 mom liked this
I am going to fort Polk in a few weeks. I am being stationed there and plan bringing my family. I want to know about schools and day care. I would like to know if there are any female soldiers here with children that I can talk to.
Thanks!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mlogsdon
by on Feb. 26, 2012 at 8:58 PM
I don't have school aged children, but I have friends with children in all of the local schools. Pickering is the best school from what I understand. Several moms I know have had some trouble with north for elementary and the Leesville high school, but I think that depends on the teacher. I do know that the schools in the arebehinds bit behind schools elsewhere, so I would suggest doing some tutoring on your own so your kids aren't totally overwhelmed whenever you guys move again. I have no idea about daycares either, but there are a ton of FCC providers on post if you can't find a daycare that works for you. Sorry I can't help more!

Quoting mvilliku37:

I am going to fort Polk in a few weeks. I am being stationed there and plan bringing my family. I want to know about schools and day care. I would like to know if there are any female soldiers here with children that I can talk to.

Thanks!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mlogsdon
by on Feb. 26, 2012 at 8:59 PM
I left some great friends back there, but I don't miss the area ;-) its really not all that bad, it is just very small.

Quoting bubbasmomma2006:

Thank you so much!!  Im not too worried about a mall lol we will be going to TX often to see his kids so ill have that one kinda covered.  Im looking forward to a peaceful place! Thanks again!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)