Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Michelle Duggar: Overpopulation Is a Lie

Posted by   + Show Post

Does she seriously think the entire population could fit into Jacksonville, FL??

Newser) – What the world needs now is more children, declares 19 Kids and Counting mother Michelle Duggar. What about overpopulation? Not to worry, says the reality show mom. Despite the world supporting a record 7 billion people, the whole "mindset" of overpopulation is "not true; it's a lie," Duggar tells the Christian Broadcasting Network. "The idea of overpopulation is not accurate because, really, the entire population of the world, if they were stood shoulder to shoulder, could fit in the city limits of Jacksonville," says Duggar. "So if you realize that aspect of it, we realize we're not anywhere near being overpopulated," she explains.

"We've had other countries coming to our doorstep asking us to please let their people know that they need to have more children because their death rates are outnumbering their births rates and they're in crisis," Duggar adds, without specifying which countries she's talking about. Duggar, who recently had a family funeral for her miscarried fetus, said she agrees with Mother Teresa: "To say that there are too many kids is like saying there are too many flowers." The interview started with a question from a viewer asking if 19 children might be too many. "Oh wow," a shocked Duggar responded.

http://www.newser.com/story/142941/michelle-duggar-overpopulation-is-a-lie.html

by on Mar. 29, 2012 at 8:05 AM
Replies (191-200):
JerseyAirGurl
by Ada on Mar. 30, 2012 at 11:36 AM
If you are spending hours on hw or teaching things from their school day then I would say there is something wrong with that picture. Either the child lacks basic concepts or the teacher teaching in a way that isnt easy for your child to understand. Then its a parents responsibility to address the problems.
Quoting ma2calebzoeyeli:

In a sense, yes, if you are spending hours at home after they have already been in school all day reinforcing or even teaching what they have learned at school, why not at least research if homeschooling might not work for your family.  Doing 30 minutes of homework with them is one thing but having to spend hours at home in the evening going over things they should be learning during the day is, IMO, too much.  It is definitely not for everyone but my kids are all labeled gifted and even being in a good school I am seeing them get more and more bored every single year and that is with them in the advanced classes at school.  I realize it doesn't work for everyone and I have been happy with my kids in PS for 6 years now but I do hate how everyone just dismisses homeschooling immediately without even realizing that in many cases they are already doing it.

Quoting JerseyAirGurl:

Wait you are saying that if you need to help your child at home or teach/reinforce concepts from their public school... You might as well just homeschool.

Quoting ma2calebzoeyeli:

I never said they didn't.  My kids wouldn't have been in PS this long if I didn't feel they were getting a good education.  I think each family has to do what is right for their family and neither one is "better" than the other.  You go with the one that works for your family.  Public school has worked for us for 6 years now but we have decided that this next year homeschooling is bet for us.  If you are having to push them at home/teach them at home while they are in PS though why not just homeschool them.  I do realize that because of jobs and such that is not an option for everyone. 

Quoting jas_momof2:

So do kids who attend public school and have parents that push them at home...

Quoting ma2calebzoeyeli:

My kids have always gone to public schools but after years of researching and because of this upcoming move we have decided to homeschool.  The more I research it the more excited I become about homeschooling.  My kids are also super excited about it.  I think many people that are so against homeschooling have never really taken the time to research it and buy into all the preconceived notions.  Is it for everyone?  I don't know but I do think that many homeschooled kids get an incredible education.

Quoting NickLukeandEmma:

I had horrible experience in public schools. Public schools are fine for average kids. Ones who aren't ahead of the curve or below it. That is where the critical failures come into play. Too many kids in each classroom for teachers to adequately teach students at different levels.

Quoting JerseyAirGurl:

Homeschooling is fine... I wouldnt do it. I had a great experience in a traditional school. Plus as a former teacher... I'm pro public schools.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Acid
by on Mar. 30, 2012 at 11:43 AM
1 mom liked this

There are several things wrong with that woman.  One is that she seems to be a little brainless.

marissaj125
by on Mar. 30, 2012 at 11:53 AM

well, she is right. Everyone can stand in a square foot spot, and everyone is together shoulder to shoulder, we can fit. Who is the dumb ass now.

victoriaherring
by on Mar. 30, 2012 at 11:55 AM

I also believe overpopulation is a lie.. I don't think everyone could fit into Jacksonville, but Texas maybe.. I agree that some areas in the world are overpopulated, but there are just as many areas that are remote and have no one for miles..

usmclife58
by Nikki on Mar. 30, 2012 at 12:03 PM

Oh holy wow. Some people are just so lost it makes my head hurt. And I am NOT talking about Michele Duggar.

JerseyAirGurl
by Ada on Mar. 30, 2012 at 12:07 PM
1 mom liked this
**chuckles**

Quoting usmclife58:

Oh holy wow. Some people are just so lost it makes my head hurt. And I am NOT talking about Michele Duggar.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
chrlstoncharmed
by Melissa on Mar. 30, 2012 at 12:08 PM
1 mom liked this

What does overpopulation have to do with standing shoulder-to-shoulder in Jacksonville? Don't you think that is just a tad oversimplified? 

mizzou2016
by on Mar. 30, 2012 at 12:23 PM

I personally think no one should have more than five children. At least they can support their children and raise them with good values and decency.

BeachMommy07
by on Mar. 30, 2012 at 12:23 PM

I don't think it's wacky at all if she can afford them let them be. they aren't hurting anyone at all.

StevensCare4u
by on Mar. 30, 2012 at 12:24 PM

I think it was an honest blonde moment. We all have them. Heck one time I was talking to my cousin & we got on the subject of farm animals. I insisted for 30 min that donkeys laid eggs. Then I realized what I was saying and felt like an idiot! Still years later she never lets me live it down.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)