Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Michelle Duggar: Overpopulation Is a Lie

Posted by   + Show Post

Does she seriously think the entire population could fit into Jacksonville, FL??

Newser) – What the world needs now is more children, declares 19 Kids and Counting mother Michelle Duggar. What about overpopulation? Not to worry, says the reality show mom. Despite the world supporting a record 7 billion people, the whole "mindset" of overpopulation is "not true; it's a lie," Duggar tells the Christian Broadcasting Network. "The idea of overpopulation is not accurate because, really, the entire population of the world, if they were stood shoulder to shoulder, could fit in the city limits of Jacksonville," says Duggar. "So if you realize that aspect of it, we realize we're not anywhere near being overpopulated," she explains.

"We've had other countries coming to our doorstep asking us to please let their people know that they need to have more children because their death rates are outnumbering their births rates and they're in crisis," Duggar adds, without specifying which countries she's talking about. Duggar, who recently had a family funeral for her miscarried fetus, said she agrees with Mother Teresa: "To say that there are too many kids is like saying there are too many flowers." The interview started with a question from a viewer asking if 19 children might be too many. "Oh wow," a shocked Duggar responded.

http://www.newser.com/story/142941/michelle-duggar-overpopulation-is-a-lie.html

by on Mar. 29, 2012 at 8:05 AM
Replies (11-20):
ma2calebzoeyeli
by on Mar. 29, 2012 at 10:36 AM
18 moms liked this

She didn't say living in the city. She said standing shoulder to shoulder.  That said, I have no idea if it is true but believe in letting other live their lives.  They take care of their kids on their own without government help.  I don't really understand why everyone hates on them so much.

NickLukeandEmma
by Courtney on Mar. 29, 2012 at 11:06 AM
2 moms liked this

She did not say live she said standing shoulder to shoulder. I don't know if that is true but shoulder to shoulder is different than living somewhere.

NickLukeandEmma
by Courtney on Mar. 29, 2012 at 11:10 AM
11 moms liked this

Standing shoulder-to-shoulder, the entire world's population could fit within the 500 square miles (1,300 square kilometers) of Los Angeles.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2011/10/111031-population-7-billion-earth-world-un-seven/

This info came from that article on Nat Geo's website.

NickLukeandEmma
by Courtney on Mar. 29, 2012 at 11:12 AM
6 moms liked this

Size of Jacksonville: According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 874.3 square miles (2,264 km2), making Jacksonville the largest city in land area in the contiguous United States.

cocoroo
by Coco on Mar. 29, 2012 at 11:29 AM
1 mom liked this
She didn't say they could live in the city. She said they could all fit shoulder to shoulder.

Quoting thenguyenclan:

um....7 billion people living in one city?? yeah right....

im all for having kids and whatnot...but i think there is a limit...its one thing to have kids that you can support but to have kids that you cant is just wrong...so here is what i say to the people that have kids just because they have a uterus...

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cocoroo
by Coco on Mar. 29, 2012 at 11:31 AM
7 moms liked this
Why? Homeschooling is a great alternative to traditional schools.

Quoting JerseyAirGurl:

Feel bad for the kids she homeschooled

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
usmclife58
by Nikki on Mar. 29, 2012 at 11:33 AM

LOL! I love how people love to hate. 

NickLukeandEmma
by Courtney on Mar. 29, 2012 at 11:34 AM
8 moms liked this

People argue that home schooled children lack social skills but when I went to a home school conference they referenced several studies showing that they are often better adjusted than their counterparts in the public school system.

cocoroo
by Coco on Mar. 29, 2012 at 11:34 AM
14 moms liked this

I think she needs to give her body a break from baby making. But, just like I don't want people telling me what to do with my uterus, I have no business telling her what to do.

Her statement about the world not being overpopulated is ignorant. It is about so much more than the land to place people. It is about the natural resources to sustain the population.

JerseyAirGurl
by Ada on Mar. 29, 2012 at 11:34 AM
2 moms liked this
Sweet that the entire world could stand in one spot within the city limits of Jacksonville FL. Neat... But overpopulation would take into account living space... Using resources... Etc. so still think of everyone lived the lifestyle she promotes... Def have problems.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)