Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Michelle Duggar: Overpopulation Is a Lie

Posted by   + Show Post

Does she seriously think the entire population could fit into Jacksonville, FL??

Newser) – What the world needs now is more children, declares 19 Kids and Counting mother Michelle Duggar. What about overpopulation? Not to worry, says the reality show mom. Despite the world supporting a record 7 billion people, the whole "mindset" of overpopulation is "not true; it's a lie," Duggar tells the Christian Broadcasting Network. "The idea of overpopulation is not accurate because, really, the entire population of the world, if they were stood shoulder to shoulder, could fit in the city limits of Jacksonville," says Duggar. "So if you realize that aspect of it, we realize we're not anywhere near being overpopulated," she explains.

"We've had other countries coming to our doorstep asking us to please let their people know that they need to have more children because their death rates are outnumbering their births rates and they're in crisis," Duggar adds, without specifying which countries she's talking about. Duggar, who recently had a family funeral for her miscarried fetus, said she agrees with Mother Teresa: "To say that there are too many kids is like saying there are too many flowers." The interview started with a question from a viewer asking if 19 children might be too many. "Oh wow," a shocked Duggar responded.

http://www.newser.com/story/142941/michelle-duggar-overpopulation-is-a-lie.html

by on Mar. 29, 2012 at 8:05 AM
Replies (41-50):
cocoroo
by Coco on Mar. 29, 2012 at 11:48 AM
How dare they?

Quoting NickLukeandEmma:

I guess she promoting growing children in a stable, loving home with two parents who are emotionally supportive and there for their kids. I guess she is setting back the feminist movement. Maybe that is why people hate.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
InMediasRes
by on Mar. 29, 2012 at 11:54 AM
5 moms liked this

I'm a former teacher as well, and now I homeschool. Don't get me wrong, there are some truly great teachers in the public school system, but the bars are set so low, the teachers are overworked and underpaid --and that carries into the classroom, the morality has been stripped and watered down in favor of a social agenda -to the point where the difference between "right" and "wrong" is unrecognizable and its definitions are fluid, depending on individual opinion. 

It's not the environment I want my children in. And the hard fact is that, while public schools have better access to more funding than an individual family, there's just no way on earth a classroom with 30 kids and one teacher can compete for the individual curriculum customization or quality afforded to the kids that are homeschooled. Not that all people can or should homeschool their kids (I know a lot of people that shouldn't), but the accusation that homeschooling is inferior to public schooling is completely baseless.

Quoting JerseyAirGurl:

Homeschooling is fine... I wouldnt do it. I had a great experience in a traditional school. Plus as a former teacher... I'm pro public schools.

NickLukeandEmma
by Courtney on Mar. 29, 2012 at 11:54 AM

Coco -- I wasn't mature enough to be in the gifted program because I argued that my sister was a real sister even though she is my half sister. The lady was so mad at me. Lol. Then I skipped 5th grade and did high school in three years. I think the parameters for the gifted program are extremely backwards.

Nikki -- I think that the system caters to children who have things like autism and other diagnosed things but not to those who are just behind. I think they get lost in the shuffle. When we went back to Nevada last year and the kids started at a public school there they were ahead of them by over a school year as far as what they already knew. So I switched them to private school. Luke didn't need any special ed because his teacher had 11 kids and she took time to work with him. I don't blame teachers because they don't have a say over how many kids are put in their classes. I blame the administration and bureaucratic bull crap.

InMediasRes
by on Mar. 29, 2012 at 11:55 AM
1 mom liked this

Thank you...I ate my Wheaties this morning! lol!

Quoting usmclife58:

I am just loving you today!

Quoting InMediasRes:

And exactly what "lifestyle" is she promoting? She's in a stable marriage (has been for many years), has a reliable source of income that is neither immoral nor illegal, built her home together with her husband and paid for it with cash so she has no mortgage, doesn't take government assistance to raise her family, and advocates making responsible choices based on your faith, your family, and your civic duty to your country. 

What exactly are you opposed to? 

Quoting JerseyAirGurl:

Sweet that the entire world could stand in one spot within the city limits of Jacksonville FL. Neat... But overpopulation would take into account living space... Using resources... Etc. so still think of everyone lived the lifestyle she promotes... Def have problems.

InMediasRes
by on Mar. 29, 2012 at 11:57 AM

Agree. The public school system is incredibly broken...I don't blame any particular program or administration, but overall it's just hopelessly in disrepair and the problem is so large, it's difficult to see a reasonable and workable way to fix it.

Quoting usmclife58:

I think they are catering to the kids that are below the standard, ignoring the middle and above average kids. No Child Left Behind is BS. If a child cannot keep up, they NEED to be left behind. The system, as it is, is a disservice to the students and the rest of the world. We see examples of it every day on this forum.

Quoting NickLukeandEmma:

I had horrible experience in public schools. Public schools are fine for average kids. Ones who aren't ahead of the curve or below it. That is where the critical failures come into play. Too many kids in each classroom for teachers to adequately teach students at different levels.

Quoting JerseyAirGurl:

Homeschooling is fine... I wouldnt do it. I had a great experience in a traditional school. Plus as a former teacher... I'm pro public schools.

InMediasRes
by on Mar. 29, 2012 at 11:58 AM
1 mom liked this

supplement at home and push him at home so he can work closer to his true potential!

Quoting cocoroo:

That is the problem I'm having with my 11 yo son. He isn't "gifted" according to the tests, but he is so far ahead of his grade academically.

Quoting NickLukeandEmma:

I had horrible experience in public schools. Public schools are fine for average kids. Ones who aren't ahead of the curve or below it. That is where the critical failures come into play. Too many kids in each classroom for teachers to adequately teach students at different levels.

Quoting JerseyAirGurl:

cocoroo
by Coco on Mar. 29, 2012 at 11:58 AM

He missed getting into the gifted program by a few points.  There were 4 parts to the test, they had to have a 77 on 3 parts and about an 85 on atleast one part.  He had a 71 one part (the puzzle crap), but he had an 81, 85 and 98 on the other three parts.  I'm planning on working on pre-algebra with him this summer, so when he gets to MS, he can take Algebra in 7th grade and Geo in 8th grade.  He would have to go to the HS for geo, but it would be worth it. 

Quoting NickLukeandEmma:

Coco -- I wasn't mature enough to be in the gifted program because I argued that my sister was a real sister even though she is my half sister. The lady was so mad at me. Lol. Then I skipped 5th grade and did high school in three years. I think the parameters for the gifted program are extremely backwards.

NickLukeandEmma
by Courtney on Mar. 29, 2012 at 12:02 PM

I really wish they would institute a voucher system so parents could choose where to send their kids. Private school, better public school, etc. Then the broken schools wouldn't have students and no funding. I also think tenure is a mistake the way it is now. Most states only require three years for tenure and some require only one year. Why strive to be excellent when being mediocre for a couple years will get you a meal ticket for the next 20 years?

cocoroo
by Coco on Mar. 29, 2012 at 12:02 PM

I do work with him some, but not as much as I should.  I'm going to work with him and my 9 yo dd this summer a lot.  With all the cuts, the class sizes are ridiculous here, so they definitely need me supplementing.  I don't blame the teachers, I blame so much more.  The teachers are doing what they can with the resources they have.  It is very sad.  My son's teacher was telling me that an administor from our school district came to his class a few weeks ago.  She asked the principal which two classes were in the classroom at the time.  The principal told her that was just one class.  She was so out of touch, she didn't realize the classes were so big.  I think my son's 5th grade class has 35 kids in it.

Quoting InMediasRes:

supplement at home and push him at home so he can work closer to his true potential!

Quoting cocoroo:

That is the problem I'm having with my 11 yo son. He isn't "gifted" according to the tests, but he is so far ahead of his grade academically.

usmclife58
by Nikki on Mar. 29, 2012 at 12:04 PM
1 mom liked this

I think NCLB just made the education system worse. It was supposed to be a fix but caused more issues. I remember going from private to public school and being shocked that spelling rarely counted. Math was more objective than factual. I rarely showed up to classes and (literally) never did homework and would pass with A's and B's. 

Quoting InMediasRes:

Agree. The public school system is incredibly broken...I don't blame any particular program or administration, but overall it's just hopelessly in disrepair and the problem is so large, it's difficult to see a reasonable and workable way to fix it.

Quoting usmclife58:

I think they are catering to the kids that are below the standard, ignoring the middle and above average kids. No Child Left Behind is BS. If a child cannot keep up, they NEED to be left behind. The system, as it is, is a disservice to the students and the rest of the world. We see examples of it every day on this forum.

Quoting NickLukeandEmma:

Quoting JerseyAirGurl:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN