Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Ets'ing in 6 months

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2012 at 7:48 AM
  • 17 Replies
Ok ladies now it's official, DH does not want to re-enlist so we will be back to civilian life in 6 months.
We both don't have family here so we wanted to move to AZ where we atleast have friends. I am a bit scared how things will work out for us. Has anyone already been thru this that could be able to give me some advice ? We are still trying to figure out if it is better to do a dity move or have the army move us. His hor is 400 miles from our duty station and a move to AZ is 1200 miles, we already know that we would have to pay the difference, just we are not sure what would be cheaper/ better. DH already started his ACAP, but I still have tons of questions to which I can't find any answers.
Sorry if the text is confusing, I just have too many questions and really don't know where to start.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 3, 2012 at 7:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mom2jessnky
by Dedi on Apr. 3, 2012 at 8:14 AM

No experience but I know the idea that my husband can be done in 6yrs scares me.

So with that, I'll wish you the best of luck and I hope everything goes smoothly. :)

gunsgirl
by Silver Member on Apr. 3, 2012 at 8:15 AM

how you move will be up to you- I would never do a Full PPM- to much work not enough money-

you are correct about the distance- but this also applies to the mileage and per diem and you will only get enought money for 2 day of travel and only 23 cents a mile for the approx 400 miles for driving your own car.

you do not get DLA or TLE -

barrelracer1699
by Chel on Apr. 3, 2012 at 8:20 AM

Not sure! Hope someone can help you.

wruss
by on Apr. 3, 2012 at 10:12 AM
We are in the process of ets-ing right now...little over 2 weeks left...and still waiting for official orders...we decided full dity move...since we do not have a house yet...and we can put our stuff in storage until we find a house...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
chrlstoncharmed
by Melissa on Apr. 3, 2012 at 11:08 AM

Good luck with everything! My hubby will be out (retired) Dec 31st, so we'll be going through the same thing (I think? Unless we end up staying here). 

We're in AZ now. What city are you moving to? 

Diatech12
by Member on Apr. 3, 2012 at 11:09 AM
We are on the same time line too and I have lots of questions too!

Good luck!
Maddies_mom101
by on Apr. 3, 2012 at 12:43 PM
What type of advice do yOu want
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Momof2Stepof3
by Member on Apr. 3, 2012 at 12:57 PM

Not sure how the Army does things but DH's HOR was in Texas. We were stationed in Southern California and our new home is in Northern California and we didn't pay a dime. DH didn't do a change of HOR till about 6 months ago he retired in 2010. 

I would never do a DITY. With gas prices as they are you will not make that much money. 

redneck_girl
by on Apr. 3, 2012 at 1:31 PM

Thank you all for your comments.

@christoncharmed, we was thinking about moving to the Phoenix area

@wruss, does the Army pay for the storage ? We are in the same boot, we can't look for a house until we can leave here, so we also need to get a storage

@diatech, how far are you guys already in this process ?

@maddis_mom101, the only thing I know about Etsing is that we can either move ourselfs or have the Army move us. and the classes that are offfered before my DH gets out, but I am woundering what else is there that we must think about.

violinjewel
by Julia on Apr. 3, 2012 at 1:39 PM
Not sure. Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)