Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families
Ok ladies now it's official, DH does not want to re-enlist so we will be back to civilian life in 6 months.
We both don't have family here so we wanted to move to AZ where we atleast have friends. I am a bit scared how things will work out for us. Has anyone already been thru this that could be able to give me some advice ? We are still trying to figure out if it is better to do a dity move or have the army move us. His hor is 400 miles from our duty station and a move to AZ is 1200 miles, we already know that we would have to pay the difference, just we are not sure what would be cheaper/ better. DH already started his ACAP, but I still have tons of questions to which I can't find any answers.
Sorry if the text is confusing, I just have too many questions and really don't know where to start.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 3, 2012 at 7:48 AM
Replies (11-17):
lilnena98
by on Apr. 3, 2012 at 2:00 PM

We are still in...but got about 4 years left and it's going to be hectic. I don't like dity moves so we know for sure that the Army will be moving us. I believe tmo can hold your belongings for 60 days or is it 90..sorry can't remember. That might help with you guys getting to Az and looking for a place to live without worrying about the cost of a storage. Good luck!

gunsgirl
by Silver Member on Apr. 3, 2012 at 2:10 PM

storage is up to 90 days for ETSing. and you can get reimbursed for storage if your do a PPM.

asaffell
by Ashley on Apr. 3, 2012 at 3:34 PM
1 mom liked this

A lot of your questions will be answered when he goes through transition assistance. Make sure he handles his VA stuff right away and try to put some money away for healthcare costs - transitional Tricare is expensive.

Quoting redneck_girl:

Thank you all for your comments.

@christoncharmed, we was thinking about moving to the Phoenix area

@wruss, does the Army pay for the storage ? We are in the same boot, we can't look for a house until we can leave here, so we also need to get a storage

@diatech, how far are you guys already in this process ?

@maddis_mom101, the only thing I know about Etsing is that we can either move ourselfs or have the Army move us. and the classes that are offfered before my DH gets out, but I am woundering what else is there that we must think about.

redneck_girl
by on Apr. 4, 2012 at 4:00 PM

Thanks for the Info ladies

babowes
by on Apr. 4, 2012 at 4:17 PM
Good qustions good answers....glad you are getting some advice.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mrsminter
by on Apr. 5, 2012 at 2:06 PM

My neighbor did a DITY and never got paid. Their paperwork was "lost". 

GoodTimeDiva
by on Apr. 5, 2012 at 3:49 PM

Let the army move you. In the long run it is better! Less stress. You don't have worry about having to move anything or touch anything. They do all the work. It makes it nice especially if you live on base housing, then all you have to do is worry about getting your home ready for inspection. Getting out of the military is going to be hard on your husband. Every job he gets he will try and use his military training while at work. My husband had to adjust a lot. You will too! Having military wives as your friends and then turning around and having civilian wives are two different things. Good Luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN