Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

If you have a child with autism...

Posted by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 8:56 PM
  • 18 Replies

where are you stationed? did you EFMP there? What services do you look for?

if you can answer anything or share your experience that'll be great :). We're trying to do some research on different bases and services offered. DH and I are both starting to feel that our DD needs a little more than what is offered here. We are Air Force and our DD is 3

by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 8:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
barrelracer1699
by Chel on Apr. 12, 2012 at 10:18 PM

I have no experience with EFMP. GL and hope some ladies have advice for you!

Monkiegomery
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 11:07 PM
My son has autism. We are stationed at Langley. No we didn't EFMP here. But this is an amazing area. Soo many groups for children with Autism!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ccmvm
by on Apr. 13, 2012 at 12:48 AM

Thanks Chel :)

@Monkiegomery i have a friend who recently PCS'd to Langley, all her pics of the place are beautiful :). Do you mind if i PM you a couple Qs? just curious about a lot of things

My DD goes to a headstart preschool here where they do group therapy and such but after a recent chat with her teachers where they said she *does not qualify* for speech therapy because of her lack of speech...well that made no sense to me. They said hopefully next school year she will have enough speech to qualify for some 1 on 1 speech therapy. She needs therapy to help her speak! but she can't get therapy because she can't speak! Basically all they can do is put her with other peers and hopefully she picks it up. This is pretty much all they have in the very small town that we live at and we just feel it is not enough :/ this can't be all that is out there available

MegG25
by on Apr. 13, 2012 at 12:50 AM

Here's a bump!  Good luck I hope you find some great information!

mommyofblueyes
by on Apr. 13, 2012 at 12:55 AM

My 4 year old has autism.  We are stationed in Germany though.  Since our DEROS is August 1st, they wouldn't let us go back early.  Which gives us our base of preference, so we are more then likely heading to Florida (hopefully Eglin/Hurlburt field area).  I have heard nothing but womderful things about the services offered in the area.  My son right now get's speech, and occupational therapy.  He needs more though, stuff that they don't offer here.  

TheCrooners
by on Apr. 13, 2012 at 8:52 AM
We're Army, enrolled in EFMP, stationed in Germany. Both my sons are autistic. I also homeschool them. No services but we aren't seeking any assistance. There are several programs but I would suggest you call EFMP and discuss all your options as they'll have more detailed info for you. Good luck!
thenguyenclan
by on Apr. 13, 2012 at 8:59 AM

we were enrolled in EFMP but our son doesnt have autism......i hope you find the information you need! :-) 

usmclife58
by Nikki on Apr. 13, 2012 at 11:35 AM

Bump

Monkiegomery
by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 5:03 PM
Of course I don't mind! I didn't even see this reply!

Quoting ccmvm:

Thanks Chel :)

@Monkiegomery i have a friend who recently PCS'd to Langley, all her pics of the place are beautiful :). Do you mind if i PM you a couple Qs? just curious about a lot of things

My DD goes to a headstart preschool here where they do group therapy and such but after a recent chat with her teachers where they said she *does not qualify* for speech therapy because of her lack of speech...well that made no sense to me. They said hopefully next school year she will have enough speech to qualify for some 1 on 1 speech therapy. She needs therapy to help her speak! but she can't get therapy because she can't speak! Basically all they can do is put her with other peers and hopefully she picks it up. This is pretty much all they have in the very small town that we live at and we just feel it is not enough :/ this can't be all that is out there available

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tthomas87
by on Apr. 15, 2012 at 1:43 AM
My son has autism and enrolled in EFMP but we are Army there are two AFB's here though. We are in Colorado. I looked for a developmental pediatrician, pediatric psychiatrist, and occupational therapist. However depending on where your child is on the spectrum they may need something different. Are you trying to get stationed some place else? There is Peterson AFB here and if you come here I can give you the information to who we use off post.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN