Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

My son leaves for boot camp soon

Posted by on Apr. 15, 2012 at 6:08 PM
  • 23 Replies
Im not sure where to start. My son came to my husband and I right before christmas and told us he wanted to join the Marines. At first i was hesitant but we signed the papers because he wasnt 18 yet. He wants recon. He qualified for it. I have tried talking to my mom about how i feel and she says that its not about me. Obviously but i was reaching out for support cuz everyday that gets closer i get sadder and sadder. Am i just pathetic? Any advice? My baby is about to leave and its killing me inside...so pathetic
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 15, 2012 at 6:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
barrelracer1699
by Chel on Apr. 15, 2012 at 6:20 PM

No advice sorry! Hope someone has some for you. GL

edelweiss23
by on Apr. 15, 2012 at 6:24 PM
1 mom liked this

write to him a lot while he is gone.  That means the world to them while going through it.  You could try reaching out to his recruter to try and understand a little more.

violinjewel
by Julia on Apr. 15, 2012 at 6:38 PM
I've got no advice, but good luck.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
amonkeymom
by on Apr. 15, 2012 at 8:05 PM

hugs

wjpassanante
by on Apr. 15, 2012 at 8:09 PM

Good luck!  It's not pathetic to worry about your son....

BompsMum
by on Apr. 15, 2012 at 8:13 PM

you arent pathetic for being sad! you are a mommy and thats your little boy (regardless off how old he is). my husband is in the navy and my son is only 9 months old so i have no sage advice for you, just a lot of encouragement. when your mom said its not about you- it may be true but it doesnt mean you arent affected!

write to him as often as you can, try to be upbeat (this i have learned from dealing with my husband- he will be missing home already, he will be sad at times, you dont need to tell him how horribly you miss him, it will make things worse) remember that he wont be gone forever, every day that passes is one more day down.

send him carepackages of all the things he might not think to get for himself and remember that he needs you to be strong, so be slow to tell him you are sad, quick to tell him you are proud of him and you know he will do great!

also, come on here and know you arent alone!

chrlstoncharmed
by Melissa on Apr. 15, 2012 at 8:47 PM

I don't think you are sad or pathetic, but your mom is right; this isn't about you. I'm sure you are proud and supportive of his choice, so there must be something else weighing on your mind. Why are you feeling sad? 

usmclife58
by Nikki on Apr. 15, 2012 at 9:06 PM

Quoting chrlstoncharmed:

I don't think you are sad or pathetic, but your mom is right; this isn't about you. I'm sure you are proud and supportive of his choice, so there must be something else weighing on your mind. Why are you feeling sad? 

sailorwifenmom
by on Apr. 16, 2012 at 3:17 AM

(((HUGS)))

I know it's hard, and very bittersweet, when you send your child off to boot camp.  I'm a Veteran and my husband is still on active duty, so we know the military and it about broke my heart when my son left for boot camp.  It's a mom thing ;-) 

Boot camp is going to be hard, for him and for you, but just keep reminding yourself that there is a reason for everything that he is going through while in boot camp, and that, as much as it sucks, it really is for his own good, and will be something that will help him once he gets out and is "doing it for real" so to speak.

Also, there's an emotional spiral that goes with deployment (and it can be applied to leaving for boot camp as well), and as hard as this is, you WILL reach the point where things sort of stabilize and you adjust to the new change.

Think back to all those yrs ago, when he was born and you were a new mom, as much as you loved him, wasn't it a bit hard - you were sleep deprived, you were nervous, and you were adjusting to all the changes to your life, but, after a bit, you adjusted to the new routine and things got "normal", right?  Well, this is sort of like the same thing :-) 

Just hang in there, and if you ever need to talk, feel free to send me a message :-)

NickLukeandEmma
by Courtney on Apr. 16, 2012 at 6:24 AM
1 mom liked this

Be sad, that is fine but don't show him your sadness. Show him your pride at his willingness to serve. Show him your love so he remembers it when he gets lonely. When he leaves write him letters. Even before you get his address. Then he will get a whole lot at one time. My husband loved mail call. Even if you just write about mundane, every day things about town. Gives them a connection.

It will be good for him. He will grow up and go from a boy who you love to a man you can admire. Just support him. Do not belittle him or make him feel bad for HIS decision. I know he is young but it is time to let him stretch his wings. You don't stop being his mother but you take on a different role. Now you get to sit back and watch what your parenting has produced.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)