Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

food for thought

Posted by on Apr. 18, 2012 at 9:30 PM
  • 34 Replies
1 mom liked this
Given the budget deficit and the cutting of military funding, why don't they cut out contractors on base? We're at a small base. We have contractors for gate guads. It can be taken over by sf or mp's. Building buildings...there's logistics and engineer s. Even cutting the grass, instead of landscapers there's entamology. All which could be done by military on military pay, instead of paying 3 times that to hire contractors...

Anyone else seeing anything obvious the government could cut out to reduce the defecit instead of cutting out military members?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 18, 2012 at 9:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
barrelracer1699
by Chel on Apr. 18, 2012 at 9:31 PM

This is what my husband has been saying for a long time.

LuvMyBoy08
by on Apr. 18, 2012 at 9:33 PM
My husband and I were talking about that a couple months ago.....we agree 100%
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
afwifey4510
by on Apr. 18, 2012 at 9:35 PM
*sorry for all the typos, mobile isn't my friend today.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lovebugs0710
by on Apr. 18, 2012 at 9:35 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't understand private contractors on base anyways.  We're at Ft Hood.  Just recently (like in the past 6 months), they've started putting soldiers on gate duty along with the private security company.  This past couple of weeks I've seen a lot more soldiers out mowing grass and picking up garbage, but I still see the private company out mowing too.  

I hear DH's friends and my neighbors complain all the time about how they have nothing to do at work.  Why not just put them to use and have them mow, or go stand at the gates, or something?!

momofkamnlela
by Bronze Member on Apr. 18, 2012 at 9:49 PM
My thoughts exactly.... doesn't make any sense to me! But I also don't understand why they continue to pull reserves to active duty as well. But there's way too much that I will never understand.
momofkamnlela
by Bronze Member on Apr. 18, 2012 at 9:52 PM
Only thing I could come up with is its easier to filter out the actual service members, but I'm not sure how it would be. Guess I'm just hoping there's an actual logical reason.
momtimesx4
by Member on Apr. 18, 2012 at 9:55 PM

Was going to write this.

Last week was the spring clean up, thus more troop labor out and about.  It will continue

Quoting lovebugs0710:

I don't understand private contractors on base anyways.  We're at Ft Hood.  Just recently (like in the past 6 months), they've started putting soldiers on gate duty along with the private security company.  This past couple of weeks I've seen a lot more soldiers out mowing grass and picking up garbage, but I still see the private company out mowing too.  

I hear DH's friends and my neighbors complain all the time about how they have nothing to do at work.  Why not just put them to use and have them mow, or go stand at the gates, or something?!

cocoroo
by Coco on Apr. 19, 2012 at 12:17 AM
My dh and I have been talking about that for years. And, now they are talking about moving all soldiers out of his warehouse and having civilians run everything. What? I'm sure the civilians make a hell of a lot more.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
betsyfaith
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 12:19 AM
Here they have been utilizing soldiers more and contractors less
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LilPatricksMomy
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 1:19 AM
There will be no more DoD police at the end of the year. That's why SF is considered a critically manned career field right now. All policing and gate duties will be performed by SF.

I believe that there is a separate budget to pay things like contractors etc. I could be wrong about that. We're on a small base too, between 3k and 4k military personnel and a civilian population on base of around 15k.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN