Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

They won't pay for us to move? edit and update

Posted by on Apr. 24, 2012 at 8:30 AM
  • 54 Replies

DH is still waiting on security clearance for his in California. Is it true that if we move there (on our own dime) that the military won't pay for us to move again when he gets his PDS? 

He was told yesterday it could take a year before he starts classes. He is waiting to get picked up by his MOS. We are in FL, he is in California. Our lease is up in August.

I'll talk to him about waiting. Thanks everyone!

Thanks for all the advice! We will just visit when we can. It really does make more sense to just stay here because if he doesn't get clearance, we would be stuck in California by ourselves. 

by on Apr. 24, 2012 at 8:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mom2jessnky
by Dedi on Apr. 24, 2012 at 8:35 AM

If you move without orders, I believe you're on your own.

ac10
by on Apr. 24, 2012 at 8:37 AM

but the 2nd move will be on orders. We know we will be paying for the first move.

Quoting mom2jessnky:

SierraLynn
by Just Me on Apr. 24, 2012 at 8:39 AM
Why would you move without orders? Just curious....
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mom2jessnky
by Dedi on Apr. 24, 2012 at 8:41 AM

I'm confused as to what the situation is. ???  Why not just wait for orders?

Quoting ac10:

but the 2nd move will be on orders. We know we will be paying for the first move.

Quoting mom2jessnky:

InMediasRes
by on Apr. 24, 2012 at 8:41 AM

You're not giving enough details for the particular situation...are you at one duty station now, waiting to PCS to another? Are you trying to move from one house to another, but not switching duty stations? I'm a little confused...

If you have official orders to move somewhere, then the military will pay for it.

Quoting ac10:

Quoting mom2jessnky:

ac10
by on Apr. 24, 2012 at 8:42 AM

He was told yesterday that it could be a year. And our lease is up in August.

Quoting mom2jessnky:

I'm confused as to what the situation is. ???  Why not just wait for orders?

Quoting ac10:

Quoting mom2jessnky:

ac10
by on Apr. 24, 2012 at 8:46 AM

I added details to the post.

Quoting InMediasRes:

You're not giving enough details for the particular situation...are you at one duty station now, waiting to PCS to another? Are you trying to move from one house to another, but not switching duty stations? I'm a little confused...

If you have official orders to move somewhere, then the military will pay for it.

Quoting ac10:

Quoting mom2jessnky:

ac10
by on Apr. 24, 2012 at 8:46 AM

I added details. :)

Quoting SierraLynn:

Why would you move without orders? Just curious....

AnAnxiousHeart
by Silver Member on Apr. 24, 2012 at 8:48 AM
3 moms liked this

You are wanting to move 9 months BEFORE he has orders? Just to avoid another lease? Look in the lease, there should be a clause saying you can break a lease if on military orders. IMO it is a BAD idea to move that early and not even have orders. So much can change and he could get sent the opposite direction.

ac10
by on Apr. 24, 2012 at 8:49 AM

Not just to avoid another lease. It would save us money and put us closer to him. IF they pay for the second move.

Quoting AnAnxiousHeart:

You are wanting to move 9 months BEFORE he has orders? Just to avoid another lease? Look in the lease, there should be a clause saying you can break a lease if on military orders. IMO it is a BAD idea to move that early and not even have orders. So much can change and he could get sent the opposite direction.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)