Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Military Moves vs DITY?

Posted by   + Show Post
Does anyone have experience with a DITY move? I think the call it PPM now or something. We've never done one, and I was wondering if it's worth the hassle. Are you paid enough to cover your costs?
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 9:21 AM
Replies (11-20):
gunsgirl
by Silver Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:30 PM

the rate for PPM's is approx 64 cents a pound for conus to conus moves- BEFORE taxes.

for the PPM's you are only paid for the actual weight you move UP to your max weight allowance.

if you have 5,000 lbs you would get 3200 dollars - then minus your truck 1200, insurance 200, gas 500, boxes and dolly and blanket rental 200 minus 270 for taxes you could earn about 800 dollars - but this all depends on what it will actually cost for the expenses.

blondie.mom
by Charity on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:35 PM
When we did our dity in march 2010 we made money. But I've heard that they have changed a lot of the regs, and that people are barely breaking even.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
betsyfaith
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 1:09 PM

we made a little money when we dity'd... but I loathe moving, and packing and all that yuck.  It's worth every penny we aren't making to have someone else deal with it, lol

penneylane
by Silver Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 5:03 PM

we always do partials.  if we didnt make any money we wouldnt be doing it. i would rather they take almost everything anyways its the hubby who likes to do the partials.

momtimesx4
by Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 7:51 PM

We just did a partial, more hassle in the end as our stuff arrived 1 day to the area after we did.

Even if you go over the estimate on the paperwork but still under your total limit, it will be covered up to the rate limit.

Don't forget it is taxable and you will get a travel W2 next year for 2012 taxes

Quoting DizneyMomma2001:

We reciently did a partial DITY move.  Still duno if we will even get money back because we were close to 100lbs over what we estimated taking in our car.  I loved having the packers bring everything else though.  One less stressor.

Mrs.Foley
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 8:09 PM
Partial dity, we got $7200 and only used $2500 to move from WA to NC.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lilnena98
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 8:45 PM

All we have done is a partial. I could never do a full DITY. It is way too much work for me.

dmfab09
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 12:02 AM
This is all great to know, thank you! My husband's big hang up is if we don't find a place to live right away, it'd mean unloading into a storage unit and reloading/unloading again once we find a place. And I understand that because it'll just be the two of us doing that, unlike here where we have friends and family to give us a hand.
TippyD
by Gold Member on Apr. 26, 2012 at 12:13 AM

I will NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER let the military move us again, unless it is overseas and we have no choice.  We had so much crap get broken/lost it is ridiculous. *including a bed sized canopy that completely disappeared* we were at our friends place tonight trying to figure out why their washing machine was leaking and the guy that put the shipping bolts in did it wrong and put a hole in their washing machine. messed up very nicely. we moved ourselves the SAME EXACT flipping distance 3 years  ago and not ONE THING was broken. if you dont mind the work, i totally think it is worth it to do it yourselves. we will. we only had the navy move us this time because of how the move was... 

Danielle-Lo-La
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 12:16 AM

we made over 12k on our last move.. i think its worth it. i think it's weird that someone would rather have strangers touch their stuff reguardless if they are watching or not. I'm looking forward to our next move since our family has grown and my husband has ranked up since then.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN