Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

air force mommies

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 1:52 PM
  • 34 Replies

Hi my name is Tori and im a part time student , full time mommy to my son Jonathan who is 4 1/2 and i have a fience named gerald who is thinking about joining the air force and im just loking for fellow air force mommies who can give some info about the air force. I want the good,bad and ugly. Thanks

by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 1:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
afwifey4510
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 2:16 PM
Pros: being able to understand what quality time really means.
Shorter (but more frequent) deployments

Cons: the paycheck isn't as fat as civilians think it is. With a family of 3 you'll have to have a strict budget. Even though places aren't supposed to discriminate against mil spouses, they do. So try to hide that fact when interviewing for a job.

If you're an independent woman (as in you can handle not seeing/talking to your man) you'll do fine.

Also, as a fiancee, you don't exist to the military. So for insurance purposes, if you're needing it would be marrying befor bct.

Also expect not to see him for the first 6 months-year because of schooling.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
barrelracer1699
by Chel on Apr. 25, 2012 at 2:26 PM
1 mom liked this

My husband is Army. Even though you are looking for it all remember that what is just horrible for one person could be a walk in the park for you. Every job is different too. The main things are the times apart which goes for any branch of the military. Also what the PP said unless you are married you are nothing to the military, so if you are set on getting married would be best to do it before he goes so you are covered on insurance, get the sep pay. GL and welcome to the group feel free to ask anything, this is a great group of ladies with a lot of great advice!

airforcewife90
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 2:36 PM

My DH is Air Force. he just joined the AF and finshed basic in Feb. You only have to be apart the time he is in basic. I moved with my DH to his tech school where we are now. We had to pay for it ourselves so we are just living out of suit cases but you dont have to be away from him for 6 months to a year. DH is going to finsh tech school in June and we will be moving to our first duty station in july. Wives to get put down alot I have learned. There is alot of things only our husbands can do since they are the ones in the military. AF life can be frustrating specially when they are in tech school because you can only see them for about 4 hours a day and they have to live on base during the week and can only stay the night on the weekends. Pay has been great for us. But we arent huge spenders. Fully covered for health insurance and so is our son. You will get alot of windows opened for you that only the AF can provide. Our first orders where for England but we switched them to New Mexico because England just wasnt for us. (long story) It is def something to think about. It has been great for our family. I'll finally be able to get my dream car when we get to NM something I wouldnt have been able to do without the AF. Just be prepared to feel like a step under your fience. I always feel like DH is a step higher because he is treated differently then me and they make sure he is taken care of at all times. 

jas_momof2
by アニメの雌犬 on Apr. 25, 2012 at 3:12 PM

omg...

Quoting airforcewife90:

My DH is Air Force. he just joined the AF and finshed basic in Feb. You only have to be apart the time he is in basic. I moved with my DH to his tech school where we are now. We had to pay for it ourselves so we are just living out of suit cases but you dont have to be away from him for 6 months to a year. DH is going to finsh tech school in June and we will be moving to our first duty station in july. Wives to get put down alot I have learned. There is alot of things only our husbands can do since they are the ones in the military. AF life can be frustrating specially when they are in tech school because you can only see them for about 4 hours a day and they have to live on base during the week and can only stay the night on the weekends. Pay has been great for us. But we arent huge spenders. Fully covered for health insurance and so is our son. You will get alot of windows opened for you that only the AF can provide. Our first orders where for England but we switched them to New Mexico because England just wasnt for us. (long story) It is def something to think about. It has been great for our family. I'll finally be able to get my dream car when we get to NM something I wouldnt have been able to do without the AF. Just be prepared to feel like a step under your fience. I always feel like DH is a step higher because he is treated differently then me and they make sure he is taken care of at all times. 

vintage-misha
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 3:18 PM

omfg... 

This is the WORST reply. Please disregard this it's really bad advice. 

Quoting airforcewife90:

Follow Me on Pinterest

KWnavywife
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 3:27 PM

Seriously?! OP- PLEASE don't listen to this person. 

Quoting airforcewife90:

Bird16_J
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 3:40 PM

Yep I have to agree with Misha and I'm an AF wife as well -_- The ramblings of an inexperienced wife who has NO idea what the hell she's talking about!

Quoting vintage-misha:

omfg... 

This is the WORST reply. Please disregard this it's really bad advice. 

Quoting airforcewife90:

airforcewife90
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 3:54 PM

what did I say that was so wrong? I'm talking from my own short experience as a Air Force wife.

Nay1983
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 4:02 PM

DH and I are both Active Duty AF so if you have any questions ask away.  You can PM me anytime.  I have been in 10yrs and him 6. Ill tell you my perspective but it's from my experience and everyone is different.  Anyways though msg me anytime.   

adrianna1043
by Adrianna on Apr. 25, 2012 at 4:05 PM
Alrighty then...

Quoting airforcewife90:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)