Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Active v.s. Reserve

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 3:19 PM
  • 16 Replies
1 mom liked this

My DH is switching from active to reserves. His four years will be up next month. We have thought it best that he go into the reserves cause he doesn't really want to get out but he also understands we need to work on the family (we have had some issues and are slowly working through it.)

I am wondering how exactly this happens. Does he have to be out then he just goes straight back in? I am very unsure I tired asking him but he isn't the best at giving straight answers he makes it sound more complicate lol. 

Any information would be great.

Thanks ladies!

**Update** 

I have talked with him about what you ladies have put on here and he said he still wants to do it. 

Thanks for all the advice ladies!!

by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 3:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cocoroo
by Coco on Apr. 25, 2012 at 4:08 PM
My dh went active to reserves. He got discharged from AD and a few weeks later he in processed his Reserve unit. He didn't like the Reserves and ended up going back active after 2 1/2 years.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
barrelracer1699
by Chel on Apr. 25, 2012 at 5:21 PM

I'm not sure as hubby went from National Guard and after his 2 yr IRR he went active duty!

nelopyma
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 5:25 PM

If he's only done 4 years of active duty, he will automatically be in the inactive reserves for 4 additional years.

gunsgirl
by Silver Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 8:53 PM

he will get out and then sign up to be a reservist. as long as he is trying to go reserves in the same branch he shouldn't have any trouble making the switch. but understand it is now virtually impossible to go back AD.

also the benefits are really different and you can get tricare but there is a monlthy premium.

and he could still deploy.

MarShy740
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 8:56 PM

Really? He does want to go back to AD eventually but not at the moment right now. I do know about tricare and deployment my one friend was in reserve and deployed 

Quoting gunsgirl:

he will get out and then sign up to be a reservist. as long as he is trying to go reserves in the same branch he shouldn't have any trouble making the switch. but understand it is now virtually impossible to go back AD.

also the benefits are really different and you can get tricare but there is a monlthy premium.

JennyCaps
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 9:06 PM
Yes it is very hard to go AD again with all the cut backs.

Quoting MarShy740:

Really? He does want to go back to AD eventually but not at the moment right now. I do know about tricare and deployment my one friend was in reserve and deployed 

Quoting gunsgirl:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Maddies_mom101
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:23 PM

so why does it not stay AD, how is it that being reserves is going to help your marriage? he will still deploy he will still have training.It sounds more that you are blaming your husband being AD for your problems...

As others have said its about 99% unlikely he will be able to just hop back into AD

Quoting MarShy740:

Quoting gunsgirl:

babowes
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:46 PM
No clue.....but I hope you find your info here.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gunsgirl
by Silver Member on Apr. 26, 2012 at 6:00 AM

yes, I have an army recruiter friend, he is turning away on average 10 prior service applicants a week - and along with that your DH runs a very high risk of losing rank when if he decides to go back in.

Quoting MarShy740:

Quoting gunsgirl:

MarShy740
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 9:07 AM
Actually I don't blame any of it with him being AD. Being reserve he would be able to be home more. He decided this also I told him I would support him however he wanted. He wants this more then me do I support him in it.

Quoting Maddies_mom101:

so why does it not stay AD, how is it that being reserves is going to help your marriage? he will still deploy he will still have training.It sounds more that you are blaming your husband being AD for your problems...

As others have said its about 99% unlikely he will be able to just hop back into AD

Quoting MarShy740:

Quoting gunsgirl:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)