Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

sent son to Japan :(

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 8:36 PM
  • 7 Replies

Hi my name is Tina and I just sent my 19 year old son over to Sabebo Japan he is in the Navy and I never ever thought it would be this hard to let him go. I also have a 13 year old daughter is also is not quite sure on how to handle the fact that her brother is no longer in that bedroom across the hall anymore. Please help when does it get easier to except the fact that there soooo far away??

by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 8:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Princesshera1
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 6:34 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm sorry you're going through some unhappiness right now.  I'm not there yet, my son hasn't finished basic training yet, although, I'm pretty sure you'll get used to the idea of your son being gone.  How did you handle it when he left for basic?  Think of his going to Japan that way....  Write supportive letters, try not to let him know how sad you are, it will make him feel worse.  As for your daughter, have her write letters, draw pictures...  Make a game of getting a care package together, go to the store and go on a treasure hunt!  I'm sure it will get easier to accept as time goes on, you may not like it, however, you raised your son to the man he is today...BE HAPPY!  He's serving our country!!

megsfirstbaby
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 6:41 AM

We have been in Japan for a year now. My mom still gets emotional about it, but SKYPE is amazing. And helps sooo much. I am sorry you are having such a hard time, but remember he is doing something great with his life and is able to experience a wonderful new culture. Hope things get easier for you :)

USMC Family living it up in Okinawa, Japan!                                              

(Swimming with sea turtles in the East China Sea?... I think so.)

KristyLittleOne
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 7:09 AM
1 mom liked this
My son was deployed for a year to the worst part of Aphgan and just got back to fort knox ky . Moms still get emotional about it, but SKYPE Wasn't that great for us. Connection there sucked. He got and ipod with # so he could text thst helps sooo much. I am sorry you are having such a hard time, but remember he is doing something great with his life and our country. (like that helps now lol). My son is an only child. So I had an empty nest and divorced. Stay busy and if possible keep your cell on you. I never watched the news. Good luck . Hugs. KHL
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
amonkeymom
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 2:18 PM

welcomehugs

tntschoeb21
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 7:11 PM

thank you guys guys for all you support it mean alot in this time it makes it alot easier to hear from people who have been through it and who are still away from there loved ones <3

cocoroo
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 7:14 PM

My son is a senior in HS and plans on joining the AF.  I'm strong now, but I'm pretty sure when it is time for him to go anywhere, I will be a big baby.

wordman60
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 6:42 PM

Check out some support groups online and ask your son to put you in touch with the FRG (Family Readiness Group) for his unit back here in the States.  You and your daughter will meet other parents, children, spouses, siblings, and grandparents of deployed soldiers who are currently serving with your son.  The group leader can help you find resources and make connections with others to ease the sense of loss and the anxiety that both of you may be feeling since your son deployed.

You and your daughter can check out the following sites for more information and support:

SurvivingDeployment.com

WhileOurChildrenServe.com

NavyForMoms.com

OperationHomeLink.org

OperationWeAreHere.com

MilitaryMoms.net

4militaryfamilies.com

If your son's ok with it, let your daughter invite some of her friends over to bake cookies and craft homemade cards to send with the cookies. Ask the girls to write a few lines in their cards with messages of support or questions he can easily answer about his deployment. Examples would be: What's Japan like? Can you send us some photos of Sabebo? Are you learning to speak Japanese? Invite some of your son's friends over and take pictures of everyone baking, eating cookies, writing messages to him and just goofing around in general. Include some photos or a little photo album with the cookies and cards. Keep messages and questions light and fun.  He's probably just as lonely as your daughter and missing you as much as you miss him.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)