Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Manners

Posted by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 11:28 AM
  • 52 Replies
If you do something for a stranger - such as holding the door for her - do you expect a "thank you"?

Are you irritated if you don't get one?
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 11:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
chrlstoncharmed
by Melissa on Apr. 27, 2012 at 11:34 AM

I expect at least a smile or a nod!  

sodsoldierwife
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 11:35 AM

I'm not sure if I really expect a "thank you" as nice as it may be for the recognition. I just think that so many people now-a-days lack common courtesy!

For example: I had to go to Legal one day to get something notarized. I'm walking with my 2y/o in the building. A guy passed me up and went in the door first. Not only did he not hold the (heavy) door for me, when I was 2 steps behind him, he also let it almost slam and I barely caught as my kiddo was going through..I just thought that was incredibly rude. 

I ALWAYS hold the door for someone, especially if I don't see them. If someone walks in almost directly behind me and I honestly didn't notice them, I always find myself apologizing for not holding the door. 

I know that's only one example. But I guess I just wish people had more courtesy for others, in public, in general!! 

Apollos82
by Cassie on Apr. 27, 2012 at 11:35 AM
I'm a little irritated if I don't get a response of some kind. A head nod or something, for example. Sadly, I've become accustomed to rude people because the little town I live in is very rude.

I get more irritated if someone doesn't hold the door for me, though...I mean, like lets it almost slam into me or something. That happens in this town, too.

What about you?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
usmclife58
by Nikki on Apr. 27, 2012 at 11:36 AM

I usually expect some form of acknowledgement. 

LOswald0314
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 11:36 AM
Yes, I fight back the urge to say "you're welcome!" if the person doesn't acknowledge the gesture.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wendy_k2005
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 11:39 AM

I dont expect a thank you, but if you bump into me anywhere, and I MEAN ANYWHERE... i expect an excuse me or im sorry. But common courtesy isnt all that COMMON! :D 

beerebelly
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 11:40 AM

It would be nice to be acknowledged.

4ever-SJ
by Gold Member on Apr. 27, 2012 at 11:43 AM
Well, I ran ahead to open a door for a girl carrying her son. She didn't even look at me, let alone say thanks.
beerebelly
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 11:45 AM

Quoting 4ever-SJ:

Well, I ran ahead to open a door for a girl carrying her son. She didn't even look at me, let alone say thanks.

Rude!

sodsoldierwife
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 11:47 AM

yeah...that's just rude!! I always say Thank you!!

Quoting 4ever-SJ:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)