Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families
If you do something for a stranger - such as holding the door for her - do you expect a "thank you"?

Are you irritated if you don't get one?
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 11:28 AM
Replies (21-30):
LondonsMomma84
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 1:16 PM
No. I do it to help, not to get a "thank you." usually the person I help actually needs it and I understand they may not be in a position to remember to thank me. Either way, I could care less. Doesn't make a difference to me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lilnena98
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 2:11 PM

A nod or even a smile would work.

JennyCaps
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 2:13 PM
I expect little these days with manners. I figure if I get a thank you it's a pleasant surprise.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wordman60
by Member on Apr. 28, 2012 at 9:06 PM

Teach by example.  If you hold a door and don't get a "thank you" or an acknowledgement after the person passes through, don't hesistate to loudly say "The appropriate response is THANK YOU, it's just common courtesy."  Makes people stop and think.  My late husband and I taught our children manners and respect.  As an NCO in the Army, he felt it reflected badly on him to raise children who lacked respect, manners and common courtesy – espcially while living on a military base!

If anyone steps in front of you to be first through a doorway and then allows the door to slam in your face or on your child, ne sure you loudly announce that the action was rude and nearly caused the door to slam shut on you or your child.  Believe me, the stares alone will make the idiot think twice before doing that again...especially if he's a guy in uniform or civies on base.  Always worked for me, but I was an Army wife back in the day when people exhibited a lot more common sense and showed respect for others.

babowes
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 10:11 PM
Yes I would expect it
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mom2jessnky
by Dedi on Apr. 29, 2012 at 7:22 AM

I don't expect it, I help people because it's the right thing to do. Out and about I will jog up ahead to hold a door for someone with a stroller or carseat. I know what a PITA it is to wrestle a door open while wrangling one of those. People did it for me, I'll do it for others.

Now if I make you a signature or FB Cover or whatever you had better thank me because that  can take HOURS of my time and I'm doing a service for you for free.And scrap stuff costs me money. It's a peeve, I don't really make or use siggies here but over on iVillage (where being rude lately is the cool thing to do or something). ANYWAY...

If someone is blatantly douchey (like the guy that let the door practically slam on mom and 2yo at legal) I would loudly say something "Oh don't mind us we're not human beings or anything"  or take that moment to give my child a loud lesson "It's VERY rude to slam a door in someone's face isn't it? We always hold a door open for someone if they're right behind us, no one likes a jerk right sweetie?"

Oddy_Knocky
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 8:45 AM
Expect it? No.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Pugsmuggler
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 9:44 AM
This. I am always tempted to gun my engine when people don't acknowledge me stopping to let the cross the street, I'd settle for even a little eye contact lol.

Quoting usmclife58:

I usually expect some form of acknowledgement. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
.oOMellyOo.
by Silver Member on Apr. 29, 2012 at 1:24 PM

It's not a random act of kindness if we expect payment.

adrianna1043
by Adrianna on Apr. 29, 2012 at 1:57 PM
1 mom liked this
She never said it was a random act of kindness.

Quoting .oOMellyOo.:

It's not a random act of kindness if we expect payment.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN