Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

I realized that I was old when...

Posted by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 7:18 AM
  • 31 Replies
1 mom liked this

I went to my husband's office and realized that I've owned cars that are older than his jr marines. And they weren't classics or antiques (at the time) and they weren't older than me.

It's not like I got a 65 Mustang or something no, I had an 87 Sentra and an 86 Samurai (that I LOVED and still miss 10 yrs later).

Another one, when someone cheerfully told me that the graduating Marines at Parris Island (this was several months ago btw) were in 3rd grade when 9/11 happened... and it dawned on me...I have a 3rd grader. I was working 2 jobs and going to college full time when 9/11 happened...

I'm old and I don't know when it happened. :-/

How about you? What was your fuck I'm old moment?

by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 7:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SandraJo
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 7:34 AM
I own an old truck. 1987. Went to hubbys graduation, looked around, and went geez, my truck is older than all these kids!

My old moment was in January. DH went to the recruiters, walked in the office, and there's this girl talking to a recruiter. He (recruiter) asked her why she was wanting to join. Her answer?

Well, I want to do all that hard stuff when I'm young, and not when I'm old, like 25 or 26.

All the recruiters look up in shock, see DH, and bust up laughing. Girl looks around, sees DH dying of laughter, and goes, "oh I don't mean like you mister! You're not old!!"

WTF?? 25 or 26?? DH and I are old?? And when did he get the title of Mister??

Oh, my other moment was this month. I'm driving to GA, trying to find a radio station, and i find an oldies station.

No Doubt, Greenday, and Vertical Horizon. Holy Crap, those are oldies? No Doubt is oldies????
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mom2jessnky
by Dedi on Apr. 28, 2012 at 7:39 AM

On the oldies note... the Powerpuff Girls is shown on Boomerang now, the old cartoons channel. that made me feel old.

ChrystalGreene
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 7:54 AM
1 mom liked this

For my hubby it was when his new recruits had never heard of The Peanuts gang or Snoopy.

For me it's when people don't know what a Cassette Tape is... and they don't remember the cereal cartoon commercial like "Captain Crunch & the Crunch Berry's" :(

SandraJo
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 9:04 AM
1 mom liked this
What??????? But, It's snoopy!! How can you not know who snoopy is???

Quoting ChrystalGreene:

For my hubby it was when his new recruits had never heard of The Peanuts gang or Snoopy.

For me it's when people don't know what a Cassette Tape is... and they don't remember the cereal cartoon commercial like "Captain Crunch & the Crunch Berry's" :(

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
InMediasRes
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 9:11 AM

You want me to pick just one?? Lol!

When we lived in Germany years ago, one of dh's young airmen didn't know what Schoolhouse Rock was. She said, "That's like Sesame Street, isn't it?" At the time I was only 29, so I wasn't feeling it yet.

Last summer I went to a concert with my friend. There were a bunch of college kids there, and I realized that I had been listening to this band since some of the people in the audience were in preschool. 

At some point I realized that, when you can appreciate the saying, "Youth is wasted on the young," then you're old....and I can definitely appreciate that! =/

TippyD
by Gold Member on Apr. 28, 2012 at 10:18 AM

When I realized I could get the kid I had in my 3/4 yr old sunday school class BABYSIT*and drive to my house*  to watch my almost 3/4 year old:( so not cool!

TippyD
by Gold Member on Apr. 28, 2012 at 10:21 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting SandraJo:

I own an old truck. 1987. Went to hubbys graduation, looked around, and went geez, my truck is older than all these kids!

My old moment was in January. DH went to the recruiters, walked in the office, and there's this girl talking to a recruiter. He (recruiter) asked her why she was wanting to join. Her answer?

Well, I want to do all that hard stuff when I'm young, and not when I'm old, like 25 or 26.

All the recruiters look up in shock, see DH, and bust up laughing. Girl looks around, sees DH dying of laughter, and goes, "oh I don't mean like you mister! You're not old!!"

Oh, my other moment was this month. I'm driving to GA, trying to find a radio station, and i find an oldies station.

No Doubt, Greenday, and Vertical Horizon. Holy Crap, those are oldies? No Doubt is oldies???? 

that just makes me want to cry over my cassettes. we had No Doubt, Weird AL CASSETTES! :( 

SandraJo
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 10:25 AM
I know!! I'm not even 30 yet and my teenage years have already been sent to the oldies station!

And i used to have cassette tapes too!!

Quoting TippyD:

Quoting SandraJo:

that just makes me want to cry over my cassettes. we had No Doubt, Weird AL CASSETTES! :( 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TippyD
by Gold Member on Apr. 28, 2012 at 10:37 AM

oh totally have to add: saw this at walmart and I wanted to cry:( was being advertised as a "retro phone" I <3 mine when I was growing up!! 

ccmvm
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 10:59 AM

the douche at the roller rink asked me if i had a daughter in High School because there's a girl that looks just like me. im only 25 BTW :/

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)