Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

What to wear to homecoming ceremony?

Posted by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 5:56 PM
  • 67 Replies

My husband's first deployment is coming to an end here soon, and I have no idea what to wear! Is it casual, fancy, or what? lol. Thanks in advance!

by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 5:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lovebugs0710
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 6:07 PM
1 mom liked this
We've been through 2. They're casual, for the most part. There are some women that will wear a fancy dress, but they stick out like a sore thumb.
The first time, I wore a really nice top, jeans, and heels.
The second time, I surprised my hubby and wore a dress (I don't ever wear dresses). It was just a simple casual black dress I got at Old Navy.

You can dress as casual or as fancy as you want. Through experience though, you will be sitting there for at least a couple of hours (we had to be there 1-2 hours prior to the soldiers' arrival both times), so it was a lot of sitting and waiting.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mom2jessnky
by Dedi on Apr. 28, 2012 at 6:24 PM
2 moms liked this

Wear something comfortable, you could be waiting around for awhile.

Deployment 1 I wore a nice shirt, skirt and heels. Wound up limping back to the car.

Deployment 2 I wasn't in town when he got in, he flew to where I was the next day so he got skirt, nice top and heels. No limping that time.

Deployment 3 I wore a tank top, jeans and flip flops. The tank top was nicer.

Deployment 4 I wore a dark grey top and jeans. With how many delays and changes that one had it's a wonder I didn't show up in yoga pants and a zombie t-shirt. I think I brushed my hair...

You could show up in a paper bag and he'll be happy to see you. I vote comfortable and easy to remove. ;)

sarahdryer78749
by Member on Apr. 28, 2012 at 6:41 PM

First one was 13 months long wore a pair of jeans, a nice top and heels, after 6 hours of waiting I was down to flip flops, jeans, and a a sweater...

The 2nd deployment was 16 months showed up in a 1950's flower dress with an a-line skirt on the bottom I loved that dress with some heels wore it for 30mins and went home and got back into some jeans and out to dinner...

the 3rd one was13 months and it was a blizzard outside I wore some nice boots and a sweater.. I was so comfortable.....

Just dont be hoochie or like you are going to the damn prom I have seen girls show up that look like they are going to the club and girls that look like their are going to the oscars so be comfortable like what you would wear to meet his parents for the first time nice but not overly dressed...

Haylieb
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 6:57 PM

Okay, so definitly casual! lol. I don't ever wear dresses either, and I'm thinking about trying to find some cute heels. I just have to figure out how to walk in them first lol.

Or maybe I should bring flip flops and heels, if you have to wait around. THanky ou for your help!

Quoting lovebugs0710:

We've been through 2. They're casual, for the most part. There are some women that will wear a fancy dress, but they stick out like a sore thumb.
The first time, I wore a really nice top, jeans, and heels.
The second time, I surprised my hubby and wore a dress (I don't ever wear dresses). It was just a simple casual black dress I got at Old Navy.

You can dress as casual or as fancy as you want. Through experience though, you will be sitting there for at least a couple of hours (we had to be there 1-2 hours prior to the soldiers' arrival both times), so it was a lot of sitting and waiting.

Haylieb
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 6:58 PM

See, I was thinking heels because I NEVER wear them, but I don't want to be limping lol. So casual is the way to go, thank goodness. Haha, maybe I will show up in a paper bag! Wouldn't that be a hoot.

Quoting mom2jessnky:

Wear something comfortable, you could be waiting around for awhile.

Deployment 1 I wore a nice shirt, skirt and heels. Wound up limping back to the car.

Deployment 2 I wasn't in town when he got in, he flew to where I was the next day so he got skirt, nice top and heels. No limping that time.

Deployment 3 I wore a tank top, jeans and flip flops. The tank top was nicer.

Deployment 4 I wore a dark grey top and jeans. With how many delays and changes that one had it's a wonder I didn't show up in yoga pants and a zombie t-shirt. I think I brushed my hair...

You could show up in a paper bag and he'll be happy to see you. I vote comfortable and easy to remove. ;)

Haylieb
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 7:00 PM

I don't think I could look like a hoochie even if I tried LOL. I'm terrible at picking out clothes, so I usually go with shorts and a t-shirt. So! I will be looking for "casual but cute." I hope I don't under up looking ridiculous. Thank you for your help!

Quoting sarahdryer78749:

First one was 13 months long wore a pair of jeans, a nice top and heels, after 6 hours of waiting I was down to flip flops, jeans, and a a sweater...

The 2nd deployment was 16 months showed up in a 1950's flower dress with an a-line skirt on the bottom I loved that dress with some heels wore it for 30mins and went home and got back into some jeans and out to dinner...

the 3rd one was13 months and it was a blizzard outside I wore some nice boots and a sweater.. I was so comfortable.....

Just dont be hoochie or like you are going to the damn prom I have seen girls show up that look like they are going to the club and girls that look like their are going to the oscars so be comfortable like what you would wear to meet his parents for the first time nice but not overly dressed...

Aqua_Jen
by Gold Member on Apr. 28, 2012 at 7:06 PM
I wore a nice dress and boots.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fourlittlebees
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 7:30 PM

Ours was at like 2 or 3 AM so be prepared that may happen.  Ours was in July in NC so it was very warm.  I just wore a cotton, halter-top, style dress that went down to my calves for easy bending and sandels.  I'm glad I did too because it was so warm out.   The dress is so comfortable too that I'm sure I will be wearing  it again this summer. :) 

Irishpixie2008
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 7:38 PM
1 mom liked this
If you don't look like a prostitute or like you are going to prom, you will blend in fine. 3 deployments later, I have seen it all... Everything from wedding dresses to schoolgirl outfits. And I've seen enough clevage to last a lifetime. If you wear a dress, you won't look out of place, but you won't look out of place in jeans/shorts and a tee shirt either. Honestly, I spent a lot of time worrying about it the first time and I don't think I've bothered since. (Well... There have been trips to Victorias Secret but nobody else at the ceremony can see that) Basically, I don't think my husband could tell you what I wore to a single on of his homecomings. I could be wearing a snowsuit and his head would still be in the same place...

Basically, stay classy and just about anything you pick is fine. (but everyone is right, comfortable is pretty smart. I wound up sitting on the floor last time. I was in a knee length skirt and tee shirt with flip flops. Thank God it was so long becuase anything shorter and the whole room would have gotten a show)
wagners7
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 8:03 PM
2 moms liked this

I would say wear what he is used to seeing you in, becuase that's what he misses the most. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)