Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Maybe we can just live in TLF??

Posted by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 11:39 AM
  • 13 Replies

We have had orders for what feels like forever now. We have less than 2 months left until we PCS. We've been on the housing list now for 2 weeks and everyday we move DOWN on the list 1-2 spots. I didn't even know that was possible?? Apparently being on the housing list doesn't help you at all. The 3-4 bedrooms lists aren't like this, they have about 15-20 people on the list and they are moving up not down. There are lots of the other houses but one 30 two bedrooms and double that amount on the two bedroom wait list. I'm stressed to say the least...every-time I find a house off base that we can afford and is available for around the time we arrive I'm always too late. The houses are gone SO FAST, and I'm talking houses that are just posted that day and I contact them and they say sorry I already have 3 other family's ahead of you. I dunno maybe we can live in TLF it would be cheaper lol...

by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 11:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jas_momof2
by アニメの雌犬 on Apr. 30, 2012 at 11:45 AM

Where are you going?

Italiancouture7
by Krystine on Apr. 30, 2012 at 11:47 AM

MacDill AFB..were grateful about the assignment but im scared that we have no where to live. DH left it up to me to find us a home since hes at tech school (re-training) and I feel like im failing fast : (

Quoting jas_momof2:

Where are you going?

jas_momof2
by アニメの雌犬 on Apr. 30, 2012 at 11:51 AM

I honestly wouldn't worry about it until you get there...  For one, you could have a house on base by then making all this worry moot...  Another - he will be given something like 8 days to house hunt when you get there.  Places are more likely to rent to the person standing in front of them rather than to someone over the internet or phone...

Research the areas where you would want to live if housing isn't available, but other than that - things change over night...

Quoting Italiancouture7:

MacDill AFB..were grateful about the assignment but im scared that we have no where to live. DH left it up to me to find us a home since hes at tech school (re-training) and I feel like im failing fast : (

Quoting jas_momof2:

Where are you going?

asaffell
by Ashley on Apr. 30, 2012 at 11:52 AM

Where are you looking for off-base housing? You might not find something affordable or decent right around the base, but the area around Tampa has more affordable options.

cocoroo
by Coco on Apr. 30, 2012 at 11:54 AM
I would try not to stress it until you get there. And, certain people have priority over others which is why you can go down on the housing list. Good luck.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Schleetle
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 11:55 AM
When we were on a housing list (we only got orders 2 weeks before we moved) we stayed at the gateway on base with our stuff in storage until the house opened up.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mom2jessnky
by Dedi on Apr. 30, 2012 at 12:06 PM

Good luck getting housing! I know the waiting and wondering would drive me nuts.

ccmvm
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 12:32 PM
I've seen People here where I am staying in TLF for 7 weeks waiting for base housing, so it is possible to wait it out. Also you'd be surprised how fast the housing list moves once you arrive. We were #9 on the list when we first arrived here but 7 or so people in front of us who had not arrived yet bumped down and we were suddenly #2 and were in a house within 2 weeks. Good luck
DizneyMomma2001
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 12:52 PM

We didn't even stay in TLF.  I found a house before our packers even came, called the property manager and asked if it was still available.  I then asked if I could send in some money to hold the house until we arrived.  The property manager allowed me to send in half of the security deposit to hold the house.  We arrived here on the 5th of March, signed for our house and got our key's on the 6th.  Sometimes it doesn't hurt to ask.

betsyfaith
by Betsy :) on Apr. 30, 2012 at 1:03 PM
You're probably going down BC others are physically getting there, and hopefully when you get there you'll jump up.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)