Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Need gift ideas for friend whos husband just left.

Posted by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 1:45 PM
  • 11 Replies
My friends husband left to Afghanistan a few weeks back. On top of the obvious struggles, things have been falling apart since the day he left. Its been one thing after another. I want to do something nice for her. I was hoping you guys could help give me ideas. Im a navy wife and have inly been through ship deployments where we can use email on a regular basis. Maybe theres something out there that i domt know about to make this easier for her? Any suggestions are appreciated. Shes really a great person and deserves to have a smile on her face. Im really crafty, too, so if you have ideas on things i can make im all ears.
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 1:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sodsoldierwife
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 1:55 PM
2 moms liked this

Do you have a way to get pictures of them together? or their family? If so, since you're crafty maybe you can make her a calendar/scrap book style...

A gift certificate to get a mani/pedi? 

I'm assuming you guys are stationed in the same location, right? A wine and dine night with her...those were the things I always looked forward to with my friends when my hubs was gone. Just alone time with a friend, meant the world to me!

jas_momof2
by アニメの雌犬 on Apr. 30, 2012 at 2:04 PM
4 moms liked this

Movie night!  A friend of mine showed up at my door every week with a small bag of groceries (to cook dinner) and a movie every week dh was deployed.

It was really, really fun.  We cooked together, laughed together and saw some really good / cheezy movies.  It made the time fly...

AriMommy
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 2:32 PM
2 moms liked this

Does she have kids?  If so, she may just need an afternoon/evening to herself to either get caught up on things or just have some time for herself.  Offer to watch her kids for her.

vintage-misha
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 2:41 PM
2 moms liked this

A cleaning buddy!! My friend and I have scheduled cleaning dates. She hangs out at my house while I clean to play with the kids and entertain them, and I do the same for her. We get to chit chat, hang out, and our homes get clean!! Those helped me a lot. 

Just show up one night with dinner already made, drop it off and run, it will be one more thing she doesn't have to do that day.

Movie night sounds like a great idea!!

Send her a random joke everyday at different times. Just something to let her know she is being thought of. 

sodsoldierwife
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 2:44 PM
1 mom liked this

My DH's last deployment, there was a few days that literally went to hell in a hand basket for me. My friend, at the drop of hat, drove 45 mins with a bag full of goodies, made me pasta and cheescake. We sat there, laughed, cooked and watched movies too...It's the little things like this, that mean more than anything when you're having a hard time or even for "just because". 

Quoting jas_momof2:

Movie night!  A friend of mine showed up at my door every week with a small bag of groceries (to cook dinner) and a movie every week dh was deployed.

It was really, really fun.  We cooked together, laughed together and saw some really good / cheezy movies.  It made the time fly...

momofkamnlela
by Bronze Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 2:44 PM
1 mom liked this
Such a thought thing to do. All the ladies have great ideas. If she drinks wine, maybe a wine club membership. They send a different bottle ever so often. Wine always helps me! Lol but biggest help is dinner and child care other wise.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mom2jessnky
by Dedi on Apr. 30, 2012 at 3:28 PM
1 mom liked this

I love the movie night idea. While my DH was deployed me and 2 other spouses (with deployed spouses) got together every friday for dinner. We rotated whose house it was at and who cooked each week. The other 2 brought dessert and drinks. It really made the deployment fly.

gogetem
by Bronze Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 3:40 PM
Thanks guys! Keep em coming. Were next door neighbors and inseperable. Were together every day sitting in the sun... Bbqing and watching movies. And i just helped her clean a few minutes ago. Lol
pittawadda
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 3:44 PM
Does she have kids? We did a paper chain to count down. It's a lit but it visually helped my kids.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
blondie.mom
by Charity on Apr. 30, 2012 at 3:51 PM
Awesome idea

Quoting jas_momof2:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN