Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

No Sympathy

Posted by on May. 1, 2012 at 7:58 PM
  • 41 Replies

There is a woman in DH's family who has 2 kids under 4 and a husband who is currently suffering from a back injury.  She posted on FB asking if someone would mow her lawn for 25 dollars because she is worried her children will try to stick their hands in the mower.  As the spouse of someone who is not always there to mow the lawn for me, I have learned ways to do it with small children around and therefore she get's NO sympathy from me.  

What are some things you have no pitty for members of your family saying they can't do that you do when your spouse is deployed?

by on May. 1, 2012 at 7:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jas_momof2
by アニメの雌犬 on May. 1, 2012 at 8:35 PM
5 moms liked this

I have pity for a lot of people.  Personally, I would mow her lawn for $25.  Some people are no where near as strong...  Their needs are different. 

nelopyma
by on May. 1, 2012 at 8:39 PM
1 mom liked this

I know a lot of women who don't mow their yards.  If she's willing to pay someone to do it, really, why does it matter to you?  I am quite capable of mowing our yard, however, I can't start the damn mower for the life of me.  So more often than not now, DH mows it, and if he's gone when it really needs to be mowed, I'll consider paying someone to do it.  My business, no one else's.

mom2jessnky
by Dedi on May. 1, 2012 at 8:40 PM
I'd mow her lawn for $25. That's easy money right there.
JLo1486
by on May. 1, 2012 at 8:40 PM
If you can't start the mower you aren't very capable are you now? Lol

Quoting nelopyma:

I know a lot of women who don't mow their yards.  If she's willing to pay someone to do it, really, why does it matter to you?  I am quite capable of mowing our yard, however, I can't start the damn mower for the life of me.  So more often than not now, DH mows it, and if he's gone when it really needs to be mowed, I'll consider paying someone to do it.  My business, no one else's.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
barrelracer1699
by Chel on May. 1, 2012 at 8:43 PM

I had a broken foot when my husband deployed and everyone back home and a few down here were asking how I was doing it. I was alone with a 5 yr old and a 1 1/2 yr old.

504bbymami
by Bronze Member on May. 1, 2012 at 8:44 PM
Agree

Quoting jas_momof2:

I have pity for a lot of people.  Personally, I would mow her lawn for $25.  Some people are no where near as strong...  Their needs are different. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
beerebelly
by on May. 1, 2012 at 8:45 PM

I have been the lady outside on her due date mowing the yard, so yeah, I don't get it. But hey, I am sure I haven't done some things other wives would never dream about passing off to others. To each their own.

SierraLynn
by Just Me on May. 1, 2012 at 8:45 PM
When we lived on post my neighbor mowed my lawn, just opened my gate and started mowing. I was pregnant and was high risk. I offered to pay her every week she did it, but she refused, said she was happy to help.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
VforVantrice
by on May. 1, 2012 at 8:46 PM

I would have pity for her..   Just because I am a military spouse doesn't mean I will not have empathy for other wives that do not live this lifestyle.  We go into this knowing we may have to cut the grass... she doesn't have that same mind set.  Actually, I'm sure there are a ton of mil spouses that will not cut the grass.  lol    I never want to not have sympathy for someone just because they do not live this lifestyle.  Two different worlds.

barmelino
by on May. 1, 2012 at 8:46 PM
3 moms liked this

Sometimes its not about the sympathy, its about just needing a little help. I had two little ones while my husband was deployed and I most definitely had someone come mow my lawn for me! The way I saw it was I could either 1. pay someone to watch my kids while I mowed or 2. had some one else mow it for me... yeah no brainer! Not worth worrying about the kid's safety while I mowed the stupid lawn. You kinda sound like you've put yourself on a pedestal. I'm very proud of all that I've been able to accomplish through deployments and being a military spouse but I would never think less of anyone for asking for help time to time. I see nothing wrong with asking for help if you're willing to reciprocate the favors..... think about it, would you want to be judged just becausae you needed a little bit of help?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN