Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

How upset would you be...

Posted by on May. 1, 2012 at 10:58 PM
  • 35 Replies
Lets say you have 4 kids and are pregnant with a 5th. You buddy up to another sahm and ask her to watch the kids at your home from 5:30am to an unknown time the day of induction. The other sahm would need to wake up her kid to bring them her. How mad would you be if the other mom said 'hell no' after intially saying yes (with the info that she would be on call in case your sister couldn't come). I should add, the other mom gas asked ger to find someone just for the am and she claims everyone is busy. Opinions please....I know, personal trashy business all over the Internet. I am hopped up on pain meds after my bicycle threw me, my mental filter is broken :P

eta: her husband is home and not working, only am musters. I am still going to help her, but I told her she needed to find someone else for the early am or someone to takeover at noon. Thanks ladies ;)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 1, 2012 at 10:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
4ever-SJ
by Gold Member on May. 1, 2012 at 11:02 PM
I couldn't ask a friend to do that - I would have family here far in advance - so, I don't think I could be mad. That's a lot for anyone to take on.
Pugsmuggler
by on May. 1, 2012 at 11:04 PM
See, that is how I would handle it as well.....I am not sure how to deal with her. She does have family in the area, but they told her they were too busy...

Quoting 4ever-SJ:

I couldn't ask a friend to do that - I would have family here far in advance - so, I don't think I could be mad. That's a lot for anyone to take on.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
4ever-SJ
by Gold Member on May. 1, 2012 at 11:11 PM
1 mom liked this
Her own family is too busy? Whoa. That speaks volumes.
sailorwifenmom
by on May. 1, 2012 at 11:11 PM

I've been the one on call, and they brought the other kids to me.  Yrs ago, when we had our dd, we didn't have family there (well, no family there when either was born, but child care wasn't an issue with ds...).  We took our ds to the people who were going to watch him.

But, if the person had agreed to go to them, then was backing out of it, depending on how close I was to my due date, and how much time I had to make other plans, then yes, I probably would be pretty upset.

If they weren't willing to do it, they shouldn't have agreed to begin with.  Not everyone can rely on their family, even if they're close by.  Now, if they hadn't agreed to do this from the get - go, then that's a different matter.  A person shouldn't feel obligated to say yes to a request.  But, once someone says yes, they should do it, unless there is a very good reason that they can't. 

sailorwifenmom
by on May. 1, 2012 at 11:15 PM

Could be that she just has a crappy family though.  I know that while I love my mom, she's actually pretty crappy in a lot of ways.  One of my sisters lived less than a mile from her for many yrs, and my mom never bothered to go see her in the hospital when she had either of her kids, never bothered to go to any of the kids birthday parties, sporting events, etc.

My other sister, however, is the golden child and her kid is spoiled to death by my mom.  In fact, my mom has even gone so far as to have my sisters and brother over for Christmas, have no presents for my nephews, saying "she didn't have time to shop", but have them be sitting there while my niece opens literally hundreds of dollars of gifts from "gramma and papaw".... 

It's not because my sister is a bad person, but that my mom has been, on many occasions, a crappy mom, kwim?

Quoting 4ever-SJ:

Her own family is too busy? Whoa. That speaks volumes.

4ever-SJ
by Gold Member on May. 1, 2012 at 11:20 PM
Quoting sailorwifenmom:

Yep. It could go either way - she's a nut or her family is. Something is amiss.

Of course, my sister is a greedy bitch, but she still man's up and flies cross-country to watch my younger children when my ds1 has to be hospitalized. Who knows when it comes to family dynamics?
4ever-SJ
by Gold Member on May. 1, 2012 at 11:22 PM
1 mom liked this
Oh, and Pugsy: I'm high on percoset right now, so you're in good compant.
Maddies_mom101
by on May. 2, 2012 at 12:23 AM

I had a friend that offered to help me  when DS was born, DH was deployed and my mom was  the one to take me to the hospital. I was lucky enough to have my son in the evening so I didn't have to worry about the late night or early morning stuff

asaffell
by Ashley on May. 2, 2012 at 1:15 AM
1 mom liked this

I didn't have any friends or family when I went into labor - my kid had to come with me. She needs to work something out, because that is a LOT to ask of someone.

betsyfaith
by Betsy :) on May. 2, 2012 at 1:58 AM

its a shitty situation all around

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)