Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Having Baby in a Military Hospital vs. Civilian Hospital?

Posted by   + Show Post

Hello Ladies,

I was wondering if any of you have experienced having a baby in both a military hospital and civilian hospital...or even if you have had your baby in a military hospital if you can share your experience.  I had my daughter in a civilian hospital and it was a good experience but this time I will have this baby at Camp Lester (Navy Hospital).  Ive heard both good and bad from just a few people around here but I dont know too many people yet since we just arrived in Okinawa in February.

Thank you all :)

by on May. 2, 2012 at 5:50 PM
Replies (31-40):
tth328
by on May. 3, 2012 at 5:16 PM
Im due november 2 :)

Are you living on or off base? We moved off base into a traditional japanese house and I kind of wish we lived on base sometimes.

Quoting Nay1983:

Really!!??  That is great!  I am due August 19th...how about you?  We just got here in February.

Quoting tth328:

Wow I will be having my baby at the same hospital as you. When are you due? We just got here in March.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SB2217
by on May. 3, 2012 at 5:20 PM
I had my first in a military hospital (national naval hospital in bethesda, md) and my second daughter at a civilian hospital (howard county general, part of john hopkins)
I can honestly say my experience in bethesda was a lot better than at the military hospital. I don't know if al MTF are like that but if we have another baby I'll be going to a military hospital.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DestinyHLewis
by on May. 3, 2012 at 5:39 PM

What is it that you are worried about overall?

DestinyHLewis
by on May. 3, 2012 at 5:43 PM

Bethesda is a totally different experience. It is the cream of the crop as far as MTF's go. Just be sure when you have your next baby, youdo your research. Don't base your decision on Bethesda because most likely you will be very disappointed. <3

Nay1983
by on May. 3, 2012 at 6:02 PM

Just good care overall.  There is a guy at work that said his wife had a bad experience.  He said that the doctors seemed inpersonal and rude.  He felt like they rushed everything but another girl told me that her experience was good and he was just exaggerating.  So I just wanted to see what overall experiences were like with military hospitals.  reading the posts though i agree that everyone had diff experiences no matter the hospital. 

Quoting DestinyHLewis:

babowes
by on May. 3, 2012 at 7:23 PM
I had two at trippler and one in a civilain both were fine. I am not very picky though. The lac consultant was way better in the military hospital though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DestinyHLewis
by on May. 3, 2012 at 8:39 PM

Well if it is overall care that is the issue, then yes, it just depends. I think part of what causes issues is that women are afraid to stand up for what they need or want in the maternity ward in general. You can have crappy or awesome care in either facility. Just remember they are there to serve YOU. Don't be afraid to speak up in a MTF just because it is a MTF facility. ;-)

LuvAZmomma
by on May. 4, 2012 at 7:51 AM
I would bet they are more into natural birthing and the US is into medicated birthing with lots of interventions that are convenient for the drs.

Quoting navywife2chief:

You are in Japan and the hosptials are different than American hospital. If you would like pain medicine I recommend using the Naval Hospital.  I haven't heard of many military spouses unless you are Japanese use the Japanese hospitals. A few have but don't know their reasons but they did things very differenlty than in the states and one is no pain meds for you.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LuvAZmomma
by on May. 4, 2012 at 7:55 AM
I would have to say that almost all hospital births are that way. From my experience. You get the on call dr that you may or may not know the nurses are L&D nurses that don't know you and have 15 other patients in labor. The only way to have personal experience would be to have a home birth with a midwife but seeing as you are overseas I wouldn't reccomend that cuz I wouldn't want you to have trouble with the birth certificate and citizenship.

Quoting Nay1983:

Just good care overall.  There is a guy at work that said his wife had a bad experience.  He said that the doctors seemed inpersonal and rude.  He felt like they rushed everything but another girl told me that her experience was good and he was just exaggerating.  So I just wanted to see what overall experiences were like with military hospitals.  reading the posts though i agree that everyone had diff experiences no matter the hospital. 

Quoting DestinyHLewis:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
texcav
by on May. 4, 2012 at 9:43 AM

I had one civilian, one at Fort Sill, and one at Fort Benning.  All went well but I loved not paying anything except my meals in the military hospitals!!  The civilian one was expensive (it was my first birth).  I highly recommend the military hospitals!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN