Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Counseling on post....

Posted by on May. 3, 2012 at 10:03 PM
  • 25 Replies
Has anyone tried Counseling on post? Did it work for you or do you think a off post counselor would work better or not? Thanks
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 3, 2012 at 10:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
barrelracer1699
by Chel on May. 3, 2012 at 10:11 PM

I haven't done counesling but was thinking about it. My friends said if it is couples it is best to go off as on post they tend to lay blame on the spouse, and back the soldier.

InMediasRes
by on May. 3, 2012 at 10:12 PM

It really depends on the counselor....sometimes you click with one, sometimes you have a personality conflict with another. Trying to find one that works well with/for you is a process. But I would def suggest that you find one that is either active duty or former military, just because they seem better able to relate to your lifestyle than those who have no idea what it is like to live a military lifestyle. Good luck!

violinjewel
by Julia on May. 3, 2012 at 10:18 PM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
glamorous_mami
by on May. 3, 2012 at 10:20 PM
Yea that's what I was afraid of....thanks though!

Quoting barrelracer1699:

I haven't done counesling but was thinking about it. My friends said if it is couples it is best to go off as on post they tend to lay blame on the spouse, and back the soldier.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lovebugs0710
by on May. 3, 2012 at 10:21 PM

It really all depends on the counselor.  DH and I went to marriage counseling on post with a chaplain.  We both really liked him, and he helped us so much over the 6 months we went.

A couple months ago DH was going to counseling off post.  I went with to one session (at the request of the therapist), and I couldn't stand the guy.  He'd ask me a question, so I'd give my honest answer, and he'd pretty much talk to me in a way that made me feel like everything I had to say was ridiculous, that my opinions didn't matter.

glamorous_mami
by on May. 3, 2012 at 10:22 PM
Yea but do you think some take sides especially if they know how the military works? Thanks though.

Quoting InMediasRes:

It really depends on the counselor....sometimes you click with one, sometimes you have a personality conflict with another. Trying to find one that works well with/for you is a process. But I would def suggest that you find one that is either active duty or former military, just because they seem better able to relate to your lifestyle than those who have no idea what it is like to live a military lifestyle. Good luck!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lovebugs0710
by on May. 3, 2012 at 10:23 PM
1 mom liked this

That's not necessarily true.  If the counselor (or chaplain) is professional, they don't lay blame on anybody.  If they do, then they obviously don't take their job seriously. 

Quoting glamorous_mami:

Yea that's what I was afraid of....thanks though!

Quoting barrelracer1699:

glamorous_mami
by on May. 3, 2012 at 10:24 PM
Wow that sucks! Yea I want one who wont takes sides or down talk us. We're not really religious people and I doubt he would talk to a chaplain. Do you think talking to a chaplain was better for you then seeing a non religious counselor?

Quoting lovebugs0710:

It really all depends on the counselor.  DH and I went to marriage counseling on post with a chaplain.  We both really liked him, and he helped us so much over the 6 months we went.

A couple months ago DH was going to counseling off post.  I went with to one session (at the request of the therapist), and I couldn't stand the guy.  He'd ask me a question, so I'd give my honest answer, and he'd pretty much talk to me in a way that made me feel like everything I had to say was ridiculous, that my opinions didn't matter.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ASigler86
by on May. 3, 2012 at 10:27 PM
We went to the Chaplain on post. I didn't experience this at all.

The chaplain gave us both ways to work on communication (I'm a yeller; he sweeps EVERYTHING under the rug).

It depends on what you are looking for!!

Quoting barrelracer1699:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lovebugs0710
by on May. 3, 2012 at 10:27 PM

When we were seeing the chaplain, our sessions had nothing to do with religion.  They will only bring religion into the session IF you ask them to or if they have permission.  

Our post has a counseling center type thing that is all chaplains, but they are also all towards the end of getting an actual degree in counseling or whatever it's called.  They are there strictly as counselors, not as "preachers."

Quoting glamorous_mami:

Wow that sucks! Yea I want one who wont takes sides or down talk us. We're not really religious people and I doubt he would talk to a chaplain. Do you think talking to a chaplain was better for you then seeing a non religious counselor?

Quoting lovebugs0710:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN