Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Changing home of record?

Posted by   + Show Post
Can this be done? Dh's S1 shop says they can't change his home of record but I've *heard* it can be. Has anyone here actually done it?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 4, 2012 at 1:35 PM
Replies (11-20):
Aqua_Jen
by Gold Member on May. 4, 2012 at 2:25 PM
Ok... Here is our situation, hor is Kansas. We are pcsing to Ft Lewis and are hoping to settle there. In the off chance that we get stationed soomewhere else before he ets's we want to change hor to WA so we can move back bu I guess they will just move us as far as Kansas or whichever is closer?
Wow that was a long sentence...

Quoting xxlilmomma09:

No; that is based off the home of record. They will only move you as far as HOR.

My husband's HOR is California. However, when he gets out in a few months, the Army will be moving us to Louisiana because it is closer to Fort Hood, TX

Quoting Aqua_Jen:

So... If he fills out that form and changes his legal residency, is that where the Army will move him after he ets's?

Quoting xxlilmomma09:

You can not change home of record, unless there is a break of service or error.

The service member can change legal residency by filling out DD Form 2058, as long as certain requirements are met.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Maddies_mom101
by on May. 4, 2012 at 2:25 PM

isn't it something to the effect that they will move you the equal distance or less then of your HOR....

Quoting xxlilmomma09:

No; that is based off the home of record. They will only move you as far as HOR.

My husband's HOR is California. However, when he gets out in a few months, the Army will be moving us to Louisiana because it is closer to Fort Hood, TX

Quoting Aqua_Jen:

So... If he fills out that form and changes his legal residency, is that where the Army will move him after he ets's?

Quoting xxlilmomma09:

The service member can change legal residency by filling out DD Form 2058, as long as certain requirements are met.

JennyCaps
by on May. 4, 2012 at 2:34 PM
Dh just did this year. Not sure what he did though. Bump!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Aqua_Jen
by Gold Member on May. 4, 2012 at 2:37 PM
Thats what I mean

Quoting Maddies_mom101:

isn't it something to the effect that they will move you the equal distance or less then of your HOR....

Quoting xxlilmomma09:

Quoting Aqua_Jen:

Quoting xxlilmomma09:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jas_momof2
by アニメの雌犬 on May. 4, 2012 at 2:47 PM

Correct - they will NOT change HOR...  That is the starting and ending point.  You CAN change residence (where you file taxes)...

Quoting Aqua_Jen:

Ok... Here is our situation, hor is Kansas. We are pcsing to Ft Lewis and are hoping to settle there. In the off chance that we get stationed soomewhere else before he ets's we want to change hor to WA so we can move back bu I guess they will just move us as far as Kansas or whichever is closer?

Quoting xxlilmomma09:

Quoting Aqua_Jen:

Quoting xxlilmomma09:

cocoroo
by Coco on May. 4, 2012 at 2:49 PM
He can change his state of residency without changing his HOR. Our HOR is G'ville, SC, but our state of residency is Wa.

Quoting betsyfaith:

i've heard of it being done, andI wish hubby would have, bc it would make doing our taxes easier, lol... hubby's hor taxes soldiers, so filing taxes would have been easier had we only had to do 1 state form

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
xxlilmomma09
by on May. 4, 2012 at 2:53 PM
You can't change HOR only legal residency. Legal residency has nothing to do with your final move. They will move you to your HOR or a closer destination in mileage.

Since HOR is Kansas, you will have to move to Kansas or closer. If the final destination is further than HOR in mileage, you are responsible for the difference.

Hope that makes sense, lol. It's confusing to try and type out right now.

Quoting Aqua_Jen:

Quoting xxlilmomma09:

Quoting Aqua_Jen:

Quoting xxlilmomma09:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Aqua_Jen
by Gold Member on May. 4, 2012 at 2:58 PM
Ok. Well thanks for the help even if it's not what I wanted to hear lol

Quoting xxlilmomma09:

You can't change HOR only legal residency. Legal residency has nothing to do with your final move. They will move you to your HOR or a closer destination in mileage.

Since HOR is Kansas, you will have to move to Kansas or closer. If the final destination is further than HOR in mileage, you are responsible for the difference.

Hope that makes sense, lol. It's confusing to try and type out right now.

Quoting Aqua_Jen:

Quoting xxlilmomma09:

Quoting Aqua_Jen:

Quoting xxlilmomma09:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momtimesx4
by Member on May. 4, 2012 at 5:33 PM

It can be done but the easiest way to prove that you intend to stay at X place is to obtain a new drivers license for the state that you wish to switch to. 

Check out the self-help section at legal for the forms.

Aqua_Jen
by Gold Member on May. 4, 2012 at 5:47 PM
We will be getting new licenses and all that after we buy our house in a few months.

Quoting momtimesx4:

It can be done but the easiest way to prove that you intend to stay at X place is to obtain a new drivers license for the state that you wish to switch to. 

Check out the self-help section at legal for the forms.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN